Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rivertech

RESOLVED AFTER MANY CALLS: Cannot reinstall/download CD product on second computer

I called them today and was on hold for 32 minutes and they hung up.  Only solution is for them to provide a secondary license to install on add'l computers, if required.  This all changed this year.

First of all, REPS should not be hanging up on customers for no reason.  Someone picked up the call and promptly hung up.  Poor customer service by TT and I don't care what any mods have to say here.  

The CD creates a dummy account most likely on the PC you installed the SW initially and if you DL the software for others ,it will not work.  You need the CD to work.  IF you have different OS's I don't know how will that work with the CD as I can't see if both an exe and dmg file is on the CD itself.  

This shouldn't be that difficult.  If you don't want our tax dollars, then screw off.  I will not look into other SW programs in the future.  Enough of this BS with TT.

RESOLVED AFTER MANY CALLS: Cannot reinstall/download CD product on second computer

I no longer have the computer that I use to get my 2020 return down lord I need the code for my 2019 and 2020 down lord so I can use my new computer. I have new work on my return on any computer I now I can work on 5 but need code. so I can get started need to open my 2019 first. I have ever thing but code 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This would be best resolved by contacting customer support by phone. 

Please click here to contact support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Apparently EVERYONE is having the SAME issue. WHY DON'T YOU FIX IT?

ddo8686

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about this. I followed everything you described and was able to get the issue resolved within a ten minute phone call with Turbo Tax. Thank you again for taking the time to help this community out.

You're welcome! Glad to know my efforts to document a solution for this issue helped at least one person. Appreciate you taking the time to say so!

AOS12

There is no License code in the box or CD, and it need to be installe urgent. Need it !!!

AOS12

I do congratulate you for having an employee like Ms. Williams from SC. She was so patience and so helpful that I only have great appreciation for her.

She solve my problem and stay with me until she made sure I had a working TT-Premier working.

Thank you 

Aida

[PII removed]

[phone number removed]

HERE IS ONE ANSWER.

If you have a computer with a CD Drive,

0) type in c: in the start menu field, and go up one level and open a window on the Turbotax DVD directory.

1) plug in an empty USB flash drive. And open a window on the USB drive

3) Select all the visible files in the DVD Drive window

Either copy or drag and drop them into the USB window

4) eject the USB Drive by right-clicking the USB Drive icon

5) Plug in the USB to the target computer and open a window on the USB

6) Select Setup that will be a red circle with a checkmark.  You have to be sn administrator... I don't know. 

7) Follow the prompts and you should be OK by entering the license code when instructed to.

Thanks for posting this workaround, it worked for me (after fruitless calls to TurboTax!)

Thanks to San Diego for posting such a detailed documentation of effort - that was going to be my next step!

NO THANKS to TurboTax for (a) not fixing this issue in the first place, and, (b) not training their reps on the solution.

Thanks for the feedback that it worked for you.  I am assuming you are referring to my workaround.

I think I will post the workaround as a new thread.  That way it will reach more people and we will see if it helps more people.

Thanks again,

--JS

Folks , for mac users that don't have a cdrom. The mac version of the program is on the CD. The file is hidden when viewing on a Windows pc. The only way I found this is when I mounted the CD on my Linux desktop.

I was then able to copy the DMG file to a usb drive and then load it to my mac.

I know most of what I said above is beyond some of you but it might help others.

PS. Even though I had option on Windows 10 to show hidden files , it would not display the DMG file.

I had the same issue last year and finally got it resolved after three calls.  Three calls I should not have had to make.  Here we are in 2022 and the same problem persists. I purchased the desktop Windows / MAC CD which allows it to be installed with the CD or downloaded.  I tried to download the MAC version and it says my license code is associated with another account.

First call got disconnected and no one call me back even though they had verified the phone number.

Second call, got someone in sales and while she was very nice, could not resolve the issue.  Was on the phone with her 31 minutes.

On my 3rd call and majority of this has been on hold and the lady I am speaking with knows nothing about their products and suggested I go back to the retailer that sold me the CD.   After 38 minutes, was told being escalated and waiting in the queue.  And then I was cut off after been on the phone 41 minutes.

All I need is someone to push down to my account the TT Deluxe MAC version with free e file and one state.  That's what I purchased and would like to use what I paid. 

I had the same issue last year and finally got it resolved after three calls.  Three calls I should not have had to make.  Here we are in 2022 and the same problem persists. I purchased the desktop Windows / MAC CD which allows it to be installed with the CD or downloaded.  I tried to download the MAC version and it says my license code is associated with another account.

First call got disconnected and no one call me back even though they had verified the phone number.

Second call, got someone in sales and while she was very nice, could not resolve the issue.  Was on the phone with her 31 minutes.

On my 3rd call and majority of this has been on hold and the lady I am speaking with knows nothing about their products and suggested I go back to the retailer that sold me the CD.   After 38 minutes, was told being escalated and waiting in the queue.  And then I was cut off after been on the phone 41 minutes.

All I need is someone to push down to my account the TT Deluxe MAC version with free e file and one state.  That's what I purchased and would like to use what I paid. 

Did you already install it from the CD?  Or download the Windows version?  You might need to call in again.

If you installed from the CD it seems you can not download it from online now.  You can't do both CD and download.   See the new info on this FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

It says...

You can download your software directly from TurboTax. But, keep in mind, you can't use both the CD and the download — you must use one or the other.

And....if the CD has already been registered and installed on another device, you will not be able to switch to the download product or you may receive an error message that says, "This product is already associated with another account."

So you need to call in to get the download pushed to your account.  Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies