Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can turbo tax complete a form 8962 for me?

I filed my taxes through TurboTax app (Free) on 2/5/20. I received a letter from IRS that they need an 8962 and 1095-A form. I submitted the forms to them attached through mail around early March and I am still waiting on my federal return. On the IRS website, it stated that it is processing and will provide a date. So far there isn't any. Do I have to take further actions and fill out another 1095-A form through the Turbo Tax app? Or do I have to wait on the IRS?

hoganbuffer
Returning Member

I received on 8 June 2020 a mail from IRS from Ogden, Utah [social security number removed] requesting a Form 8962 and a Form 1095-A.  I am not sure what the Form 8962 is, and maybe you can send that Form 8962 to me at <address removed>and maybe send the Form 8962 to Ogden, Utah.  I assume you had sent my TurboTax to Ogden, Utah.    I don't really understand the letter from IRS, and I would appreciate you connecting IRS with my TurboTax.

I am Danny  and my residence is <address removed>  My cellphone is [phone number removed].  And, my email is [email address removed].

Thank you.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax cannot fill Form 8962 but you can do it yourself in TurboTax then mail or fax it together with your form 1095-A to the IRS.

To do so, please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’ve used TurboTax for over 10 years now. I’ve never had a problem until now. I filed with them in early February and spent 30 minutes or more trying to find where to put my healthcare information but there was nowhere to enter it. I assumed it wasn’t needed this year so I submitted my return. In early March I received my letter from the IRS. TurboTax was no help so I faxed the IRS the 8962 form myself. Later in March TurboTax took their fee out of my bank account. Our return has still not been processed and our congressman’s office said they were 760,000 returns held over form 8962 and the IRS said they would be processed last. If anyone has gotten theirs please let us know.

@Chadbessieperkins6062

Wish you would have asked where to enter the 1095-A in the program before you filed your return ... instructions were being given out since Dec 5th to any and all who asked.   In the future, if you have something in your hand to enter and don't know where/what to do with it please ask first no matter which program you use. 

Madmia28
Returning Member

I need help filling out form 8962 Irs is requesting

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is how to get the form 8962 filled out. Please note: You are NOT going to amend your return and you are NOT going to add a state return. These directions are quirky but will get the job done.

1.  Log into your return
  2. Select that you want to add a state - this lets you into the program without the amend process starting.
  3. In the top right corner, locate the Magnifying glass/search  
  4. enter the exact words 1095a
  5. Select the first entry Jump to 1095a
  6. Fill in the 1095a information
  7. Print and mail the 8962

The IRS may adjust your refund once they receive your form 8962. 

marilynsoto3485
Returning Member

I need help with the 8962 form

Lswanson2020
Returning Member

Turbo tax ,I did my tax's with you.and now they want a form 8962 filled. They sent a letter I have to send back .and I have my insurance form. Lisa Swanson  can you help me 

@Lswanson2020  wrote:

Turbo tax ,I did my tax's with you.and now they want a form 8962 filled. They sent a letter I have to send back .and I have my insurance form. Lisa Swanson  can you help me 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Form 8962 and Form 1095-A as requested by the IRS for 2019 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/01/27409

Taybay
Returning Member

First time filing here. So can I file for free and generate form 8962? I'm confused here please point me in the right direction thank you 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot file free for Form 8962, unfortunately.  You will have to use the Deluxe edition. 

In TurboTax program, here are the steps: 

• Open up your program,
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "health insurance" and Enter
  • Select Jump to health insurance
  • Follow prompts

This amount will show on line 2 of Schedule 2 and line 23 of Form 1040.

rcampoam

Is not working for me. Turbo tax is not generating the 8962 form. Notbody is answering the phone either. How can we trust to system were to human can help when we have issues. On the other hand, they will collect my money even if IRS is still waiting for that form. What a stressing and disgusting situation. Can somebody help?

@rcampoam wrote:

Is not working for me. Turbo tax is not generating the 8962 form. Notbody is answering the phone either. How can we trust to system were to human can help when we have issues. On the other hand, they will collect my money even if IRS is still waiting for that form. What a stressing and disgusting situation. Can somebody help?

The "American Rescue Plan" Act of 2021 retroactively removed the tax on the Health Insurance Premium Tax Credit and the need for the 8962 form.    Anyone who has already filed need not amend - the IRS will make the adjustment and send the refund to you.  Anyone who has not filed yet will not include a 8962 form.

The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA), passed in March 2021, contains a provision to no longer require repayment of any excess APTC on 2020 tax returns. Recent IRS guidance relative to this provision instructs taxpayers who have an amount on line 29 of Form 8962 to not include Form 8962 with their return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

As mentioned by macuser_22 above, there have been several changes this year as part of the American Rescue Plan. 

One of the provisions includes relief from the Advanced Premium Tax Credit.  Please see the links below for additional information.

How will the 3rd stimulus affect me

IRS information for Premium Tax Credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies