Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't install TurboTax on more than one computer.

Hi,

My family and I recently bought the TurboTax Deluxe. It states on the back "Install on up to 5 of your computers." My sister first did the download on her Mac, and it worked fine. However, upon entering the license code into my Windows computer, I saw "This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads." I tried doing the same thing on my father's Mac, and received the same answer.

The TurboTax we bought was still sealed, so my sister was the first person to use it. This should mean that there are still 4 more installations available, correct?

Why can't I use the same license code? Perhaps we have done something wrong, but please let me know.

Thank you,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If your sister used the license code and logged in with her account you won't be able to use your own account for an additional download.  

The information you are seeing regarding each tax return needing their own user ID and password if for the TurboTax online product. You are correct when you stated "From the message, it appears that I have to use the same account to do my own return." 

For our Desktop product when using the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer, just save the return that you are working on and then start a new return by clicking on 'File' at the top left of the program screen and then click on the 'New Tax Return' option.

@mitchchin

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
phelpers3

Having same issue  Any help?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you should have 4 more opportunities to e-file your return under the same license code; please see the following for that confirmation How many returns can I e-file with Turbo Tax desktop?

Additionally, please take a look at this thread for guidance on successfully using the desktop program on multiple computers: Preparing separate returns using Turbo Tax.

I am having the same issue.  Any assistance?

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@DebBracey23 see @EbonyA's post above yours for assistance. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

Hi,

I did not get any help with this last year. I ended up inserting the CD into an older computer and that worked for me somehow. However, my older computer is too out-of-date to be compatible with the CD this year. So I am still facing this same issue one year later. My sister downloaded and used the license code first, and then I tried to use the licensing code on my computer. To no surprise, the code is presenting me with the same message: "This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads." The links you provided did not help me get past my issue. From the message, it appears that I have to use the same account to do my own return. However, I have seen on another community forum that each tax return needs a different account with a separate username and password. 

@EbonyA @EbonyL122824 Please stop directing me to other links and just tell me what must be done.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If your sister used the license code and logged in with her account you won't be able to use your own account for an additional download.  

The information you are seeing regarding each tax return needing their own user ID and password if for the TurboTax online product. You are correct when you stated "From the message, it appears that I have to use the same account to do my own return." 

For our Desktop product when using the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer, just save the return that you are working on and then start a new return by clicking on 'File' at the top left of the program screen and then click on the 'New Tax Return' option.

@mitchchin

Thank you for the clarification. I will try that this weekend.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies