Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

maglib
Level 11

Can't e-file. Unable to locate attachment at / attachment/Form1116ScheduleB.pdf

@rjbran was your returns accepted as you only need to amend if the returns were accepted?  Did you follow the correct process for amending below?  Did you fully update the software?

Note that you normally should wait at least 6-8 weeks prior to filing an amended return as that is how long it take the IRS to process returns.  You don't need to file an amended return if you discover a simple math or clerical error on your return. The IRS can correct those types of mistakes on its own. An amended return isn't necessary if you forgot to attach a certain form or schedule to your return, either. The IRS will contact you by mail if they need additional information to fix these types of errors. However, you should file an amended return if there's an issue that changes your filing status, income, deductions, or credits.

This was the process you had to file to appropriately amend the original return so TT knows it was the original filed and accepted return:

1. Open your TurboTax 2021 software (you must amend your 2021 return in the 2021 version of TurboTax)
  2. Select Amend a filed return, located near the bottom of the homepage
  3. Select the return you wish to amend, then Continue
  4. On the Did you already file your return? screen, select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2021 return
  5. Select Continue. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal for amended returns.
  6. On the next screen, select Update next to the info you need to change, then follow the onscreen instructions until you reach the screen Do you need to change anything else?
    • If you need to make more changes, repeat Step 6. When you’re done making changes, select Done 
  7. Carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return
  8. Don’t forget to select Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu when you save a copy of your amended return. This will preserve the tax return you originally filed
    • Name the copy you're saving so that you can distinguish it from the original, for example as 2021_amended_tax_return_Smith
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Thanks, @maglib, but I'm confident that I need to amend (I double-entered the income from a 1099, and didn't bother to look over a print version before I e-filed, so I saw my mistake just a few minutes too late.  Let that be a lesson for you, kids.)  And I followed exactly the process you described to produce the amended return.  Like some others on this thread, I figured it was the fact that it was an amended return that triggered TT's "unable to locate attachment" error. 

@maglib @rjbran I'm in the same situation.  I do need to amend because I received a corrected 1099, as well as a K-1 I didn't know was coming when I filed.  I also forgot to include one of my estimated tax payments to both fed and state, but both IRS and CA FTB have already updated those parts and sent me a refund.  I managed to figure out how to properly account for that on the amended return, so now just owe a small amount to cover the additional income.  I've already efiled my state amendment, and had it accepted, so I'm just waiting on this issue to efile the federal return.  As I understand it, I don't have to do that by the 15th, but I'm worried the IRS might start wanting late payment pentalties if I don't pay the difference soon.

maglib
Level 11

@atwyman   you can always pay the IRS using 2021 tax year here and get the filing done after 4/15 and be on time, just select amended return and they will be awaiting the return filing. The key is as long as the payments are made by the due date. @rjbran  I do hope TT fixes the issue soon but, if they don't print and mail is always the worst case option and I agree, would prefer not to have to go that route since ease is doing it electronically.   https://www.irs.gov/payments is where you can make electronic payments direct to the IRS.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Thanks, I may give that a try before the 15th if TurboTax isn't fixed by then.  I've done online payments for estimated taxes, so if they'll let me flag a payment as being for an amendment I should be fine.

gkb
Level 1

Filing federal first and then states worked for me too.

I spent well over an hour with a TT rep and she couldn't help.

Tried updating the software--I have the latest version.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling software, to no avail.

What "partially" worked was e-filing the amended state return,

but not the fed return.  That was successful. After getting state

confirmation, I'll reattempt the amended fed filing.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please let us know if you run into any issues when dong this. @bikerfox

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

@Carisa @bikerfox I already submitted my state amendment and had it accepted on April 7, and have seen this same error trying to eFile my federal return since then, so I don't think the state return has any impact on the federal error.

I e-filed without any problem and return was accepted by IRS on 3/22. I received a corrected 1099-DIV. I entered the corrections. tried to e-File the amended return and now i have the same message saying I need to reattach the Form 1116 Schedule B.

I Spent almost 2 hours on the phone with TurboTax employees on 4/12. Absolutely no success. The experts seemed totally unaware of the issue, much less any solution. 

mharnois

Same here, had to amend accepted return because I received a corrected 1099 and now I was able to e-file CA state but federal e-file has issue with 1116 form which prints fine.

mharnois

@bikerfox, similar to you, my amended state was e-filed 04/12 and accepted 04/13 but still getting 1116 error with federal e-file.

@CarissaM  What is going on? Is this the best support that Intuit can offer? Your software is full of bugs and seems like you couldn't care less about this. If this isn't something you care to deal with then please escalate and involve others who do. This is the last year I'm using your bug-ridden product and supporting your organization's political mission of making tax filing more Byzantine and time consuming.

jwmsga
Returning Member

@maglib @CarissaM 

Having the same error as everybody else with efiling amended Federal Return. I was able to efile the state amended form with no issues. I sent in a diagnostic copy. Token ID 1001115. We all know we can file by mail, but we shouldn't have to after paying for TT software.

jwmsga
Returning Member

I did the same thing by efiling the amended state return first. It was accepted with no issues. I am still unable to go back and file the Federal amended, without getting the same error message as before.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies