turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't e-file State return because TT incorrectly says I haven't e-filed Fed return (when I did)

Hi TT Community,

I'm using TT Desktop version on a Mac. On April 6 I successfully e-filed my Federal return. I received an email from TT stating that my return was accepted by the IRS. I had prepared my State (California) return but I chose not to file it yet. Yesterday (April 15), I went to e-file my State return and ran into this glitch: TT now says that I have not yet e-filed any returns. It doesn't see that I already e-filed federally. All my tax data is still there, i.e. TT can read my tax data file ending in .tax2022. 

I tried to e-file a State return only, but could not do so as TT says I need to first e-file a Federal return. I next tried the recommended option, to file both returns together, and got this error: Your transmission didn't go through.  Transmission failed. The transmission is a duplicate of one that was previously received. Please contact customer support. Looks like we’ve had a technical hiccup.

I called TT Customer Support and the agent who assisted me could not figure out the problem, despite trying a Screen Share and having me move the tax file into the Applications folder where the program resides. She concluded that the only way for me to e-file my State return was to first e-file an amended Federal return, which would then let me e-file a State return at the same time.

I don't like this option, and further I don't understand why TT originally gave me the option to e-file only my Federal return, saying I could come back later and e-file my State return -- when it turns out that this isn't possible!

Any help is appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Can't e-file State return because TT incorrectly says I haven't e-filed Fed return (when I did)

Please see if this helps.  
How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@SForrestLO 

Thanks for your response, but it does not help. My Federal return has been e-filed and has been accepted by the IRS, so this is not what's preventing me from e-filing my State. The problem is that TT does not think I have e-filed at all. Seems to be a software or system glitch.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

For further assistance, please contact support. They have tools to see if you successfully e-filed, and will be able to help you begin the state return.

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent
Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time daily.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for responding again, but as per my original post, I have already contacted TT support. TT support has verified that I successfully e-filed my federal return and the agent could see that it was accepted by the IRS.  The support agent was stumped as to why TT software is telling me that I have not yet e-filed any returns when I did e-file federally. That's why I cannot e-file my State return, which is completed, error-free, and and ready to be filed. The problem once again is that TT wants me to file both returns and when I try that, it rejects the transmission saying that the federal is a duplicate submission. Thus I cannot file the State.

I believe that TT not recognizing a completed e-file is a software glitch that is affecting many more people than me. I hope TT releases a solution soon!

Try the following if you haven't done so yet"

(this is on a Windows computer...hope MAC has the same seletions)

1) Open that 2022 tax return

2) Go up into the top menu bar "File" menu item, and select Check E-file Status from the dropdown menu.

3) do a Save.

4) then see what happens.   

After you check the e-file status from within the software...maybe it will indicate your Federal was accepted, and maybe even state has actually been filed (even if not yet accepted).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain @SForrestLO 

Appreciate your suggestions. I think it's confirmed that the problem lies with TT's desktop product, as I received this email from TT:

We’re reaching out because some of our TurboTax Desktop customers who’ve successfully filed their tax returns are seeing a message in-product that says their e-file isn’t complete. This message is popping up due to an issue in our desktop product that we’re actively working to fix.

We can confirm that your tax return has been filed and accepted. Please disregard the message in your desktop product that says your return has not yet been filed.

No action is needed on your end. We’ll follow-up with another email once the issue has been resolved, at which point TurboTax will reflect your filing status as successful.

I suppose that's why the TT support person I spoke with recommended that I file an amended Federal return as a work-around to be able to e-file my State return. Much as I hate paper, I think I'll have to print and mail my State return as I don't know how long it will take TT to fix this glitch.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies