Can't e-file State return because TT incorrectly says I haven't e-filed Fed return (when I did)

Hi TT Community,

I'm using TT Desktop version on a Mac. On April 6 I successfully e-filed my Federal return. I received an email from TT stating that my return was accepted by the IRS. I had prepared my State (California) return but I chose not to file it yet. Yesterday (April 15), I went to e-file my State return and ran into this glitch: TT now says that I have not yet e-filed any returns. It doesn't see that I already e-filed federally. All my tax data is still there, i.e. TT can read my tax data file ending in .tax2022. 

I tried to e-file a State return only, but could not do so as TT says I need to first e-file a Federal return. I next tried the recommended option, to file both returns together, and got this error: Your transmission didn't go through.  Transmission failed. The transmission is a duplicate of one that was previously received. Please contact customer support. Looks like we’ve had a technical hiccup.

I called TT Customer Support and the agent who assisted me could not figure out the problem, despite trying a Screen Share and having me move the tax file into the Applications folder where the program resides. She concluded that the only way for me to e-file my State return was to first e-file an amended Federal return, which would then let me e-file a State return at the same time.

I don't like this option, and further I don't understand why TT originally gave me the option to e-file only my Federal return, saying I could come back later and e-file my State return -- when it turns out that this isn't possible!

Any help is appreciated!