Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shera13b

Can someone help me fill out my W4 form correctly so I have the smallest refund possible in the future?

I’m married and have a W2 and my husband is an independent contractor.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can someone help me fill out my W4 form correctly so I have the smallest refund possible in the future?

Life events such as marriage, divorce, having a baby, or getting a promotion or bonus can have a big impact on your taxes. Filling out a new Form W-4 tells your employer how to calculate federal income tax withholding for your paycheck. That way, you won't wind up owing a big tax bill or having too much money withheld from your paycheck throughout the year.

• If it's been a while since you filled out Form W-4, you should know that the form was entirely redesigned.
  • The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 significantly changed federal tax laws, so workers and their employers needed a more up-to-date form to calculate the amount of federal tax to withhold.

How to Estimate Federal Withholding 

Turbo tax also has a W 4 Calculator that you can use to calculate the withholding. You should update your withholding every time there is a major life event or you get a new/second job or get a substantial raise. You can use the link below to calculate your withholding.

W-4 Calculator 2022 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I think you will find the Tax Withholding Estimator on the IRS web site more suitable to your purposes than the TurboTax calculator. It will show you how to adjust your withholding to get the approximate refund amount that you want, either increasing or decreasing your refund.

do you plan to use the married filing separately filing status (MFS)? if not, then there can be a problem at year-end because of the taxes your husband will owe on his income. You can file jointly and use the innocent spouse form 8379. this would get you your refund but if your husband can't pay his share of the taxes, the IRS can take enforcement action.  I would suggest that before filing for 2022 you consult with a tax pro.  MFS usually results in total combined takes higher than filing jointly. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies