Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

phlypp

Can I upgrade a download version of Home and Business to the Self Employed version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Can I upgrade a download version of Home and Business to the Self Employed version?

There is no need to upgrade the downloaded software.  The CD/downloaded Home and Business version is equivalent to the TurboTax Online Self-Employed version. 

They are both fully featured to handled self-employed taxpayers filing a Schedule C, along with many other tax situations.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

There is no need to upgrade the downloaded software.  The CD/downloaded Home and Business version is equivalent to the TurboTax Online Self-Employed version. 

They are both fully featured to handled self-employed taxpayers filing a Schedule C, along with many other tax situations.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@phlypp  Why do you want to switch to the online version?  Online is different than the Desktop program and has less features.  What problem are you having in Home & Business?

To use the Online version you would have to start over in a new online return and pay for Online separate from the Desktop program.  Then try to get a refund for the Desktop program.  

phlypp

I want to thank the people who replied to my question. I was under the impression that there was a download version of Turbotax Self-Employed that might be an upgrade to my downloaded Home and Business version because of how the products are advertised and marketed.

I researched and worked out my questions about how to account for certain specific freelance writing expenses in relation to Section 179 deductions and how to expense computer upgrades as opposed to complete computer replacement. The Turbotax program isn't clear where to put that, but listing them as miscellaneous business expenses seemed to recognize them appropriately.

RPMTX

I purchased the download version of Premier on Amazon by mistake. Can I update that to Home & Business?

Yes.  But why do you want to?  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.  You could even use Deluxe.

How to upgrade to a higher Windows Desktop program

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/how-do-i-upgrade-my-turbotax-for-windows-software/0...

Agreed ... try the program first and if you REALY want to upgrade you can later but you may not see the need.  In fact you could have always used the Deluxe version instead (Basic if you didn't need a state return) since the higher versions are only RECOMMENDED not required ... do you see the marketing ploy at work ??? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies