turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I stop Turbotax from trying to charge my bank? I paid the fees with my refund and now they’re trying to charge me again. Is there any way to prevent a double payment?

I had Turbotax take the fees out of my refund and it did. But I just got an email saying that I am about to be charged again. Does anyone have information on how to dismiss this charge?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I stop Turbotax from trying to charge my bank? I paid the fees with my refund and now they’re trying to charge me again. Is there any way to prevent a double payment?

You'd have to call TX and indicate you have a "Billing Issue"

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

If you've already received the "Federal" refund with the $$ removed, then you shouldn't be charged again....unless:

1) you prepared two tax returns online  (MFS or another family member or working child), and you filed a second tax return from a different account....then those charges are separate, and if the Fed refund hasn't been received for that....then a second charge might be implemented if delayed too long.

or

2)  Notice was sent in error, intended for another user...then the charge may not occur at all.

But you have to talk directly to TTX, there is nothing anyone in this forum can do.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

6 Replies

talk to your bank........

Did you already get your refund?  Maybe the IRS adjusted it and it wasn't enough to cover the fees.

Or if the IRS is taking too long to send your refund you still have to pay the fees in time.

See What if the IRS reduces your refund or delays it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payments/help/what-if-my-federal-refund-isn-t-enough-to-cover-my-t...

Then when the IRS does send your refund they won't take the fees out again.

And, Why you got charged,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

You should have received about 4 emails asking for the fees.  If you don't pay they will debit your account.  You had to agree to it.

You'd have to call TX and indicate you have a "Billing Issue"

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

If you've already received the "Federal" refund with the $$ removed, then you shouldn't be charged again....unless:

1) you prepared two tax returns online  (MFS or another family member or working child), and you filed a second tax return from a different account....then those charges are separate, and if the Fed refund hasn't been received for that....then a second charge might be implemented if delayed too long.

or

2)  Notice was sent in error, intended for another user...then the charge may not occur at all.

But you have to talk directly to TTX, there is nothing anyone in this forum can do.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The TT fees are only paid when the IRS releases the refund to pay them ... so if the IRS has not released the refund the fees were never paid even if it looks like it on the TT site.  

If you chose to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, and if your Federal refund has been delayed unusually long at the IRS (or if it's been reduced), TurboTax will want to be paid.  They likely started sending you emailed bills to pay.  If you don't respond by either paying or asking for a deferment, they will ultimately debit your bank account.  If you can't pay now and wish to ask for a deferment, you need to do so quickly.

See this FAQ that explains the process.  The first paragraph of the FAQ has a special phone number if you have a question or have a hardship and need to ask for a deferment.  

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern),  Mon-Fri

If you need to ask for a deferment, you should call them as soon as possible.  Once they actually start the debit process, they say they can't stop it.

FAQ:  Why was my bank account auto-debited for the TurboTax fees?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

Yes. i’ve already received my refund and it shows the charges were taken out. I only filed from one account so i’m confused as to why I am being asked to pay again. 

Call support ... only they can see what is happening.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies