turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still get a stimulus even if I did not file taxes in 2019 because my father claimed me and has already gotten the stimulus payment?

How can I qualify for this stimulus when I did NOT file taxes in 2018 or 2019 because I was file on my fathers return as his dependent?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I still get a stimulus even if I did not file taxes in 2019 because my father claimed me and has already gotten the stimulus payment?

Generally, if you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020, were not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment, you are eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Your credit amount will be reduced if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit if any of the following applies:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2020 return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The IRS is no longer sending out stimulus payments. If you were a dependent under age 17 at the end of 2020, your father would have received stimulus payments for you of $500 and $600.

Dependents age 18 and above were not eligible for payments.

Any missing stimulus payments will be added to the 2020 income tax return. If you are no longer a dependent of your father, you can file a tax return to get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus).

The IRS said if you really are a dependent and are just filing to get a stimulus, you could be in trouble for a very long time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@maddie11101  Are you filing independent for 2020?  How old are you?

If you were claimed as a dependent in 2019 but not in 2020,  you can still get the Recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return even if your parents got it for you.  And actually if you were over 17 in 2019 they did not get it by claiming you as a dependent.  They only get it for dependents under 17.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies