Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i still enter two tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot prepare two returns on the same account. Each tax return requires a separate account with a separate username and password, but you can use the same email address for all of them. Never start another return by going back and overwriting everything in the return you just filed. This will replace your info, which means you won't be able to retrieve your return later.

You might want to switch to the TurboTax CD/Download software to save money

• Unless the additional return/s you want to file in TurboTax Online are simple returns and can be filed using the Free Edition, there is a charge for each additional return filed in TurboTax Online.
  • On the other hand, the TurboTax CD/Download software lets you file up to 5 federal returns at no additional cost.

If you still want to start another return in TurboTax Online, here’s what to do:

1. Sign out of TurboTax Online.
  2. Select the TurboTax Online product you want to use for the second return and proceed.
  3. On the Create your account screen, set up a new user ID for the second return.
    • You can reuse your email address if you want to receive e-file notifications for the second return.
    • Up to 5 accounts can be tied to the same email address.
  4. After you've created the new account, you can start working on the second return.
  5. If you can't create a new account because your web browser automatically logs you into your old account, you may need to clear your browser history, cache, and cookies.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mama-D
Returning Member

i have a max and have installed a deluxe turbo tax ... and i have completed one tax return and am now trying to prepare a tax return for another individual ... how can i accomplish this 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you have TurboTax Online, you will have to open a new account for the new tax return. If you have TurboTax Desktop Download/Cd product you can start a new return from the initial page by clicking the Start New Tax Return button

@mama-D

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have already prepared one tax return for 2021.   I want to prepare another tax return for a different individual.  I guess I am unable to use the  2021 Turbo Tax program I purchased already?   How do I accomplish this?  

The ONLINE program is good for only ONE tax return per account.     If you need to file a second tax return at this late date you will have to use the downloaded program and efile by midnight today otherwise you will need to print, ink sign and mail it in. 

-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if you have the desktop version, it's unclear what you have, you can prepare as many returns as you like. open the program and there should be a link in blue and white that says "start a new return". 

i believe that new returns can no longer be started in the online version.  if  i'm wrong then you need to set up a new account. using your original online a/c will overwrite your return causing you many headaches when it comes time to do 2022    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies