Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I re-submit a Tax Return??? I submitted it back in 2022 but apparently, the IRS never got it, so now I can't file for 2023. Can't match the AGI, if it's not there..

I filed my taxes back in 2022 and it never went through to the IRS.  My 2019, 2020, and 2021 are there, which I filed through Turbotax but, my 2022 is missing.  Is there anyway I can redo it without getting the return?  I just want to get this done, so I don't have to worry about taxes for another year...
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Can I re-submit a Tax Return??? I submitted it back in 2022 but apparently, the IRS never got it, so now I can't file for 2023. Can't match the AGI, if it's not there..

What does it say in your account for 2022?  Does it show that the return was accepted?   Or does it say something else---like "rejected," "printed," or "ready to mail?”    If it does not say "accepted" then your return was not e-filed successfully.

Does the IRS refund site show any information for your 2022 return? 

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2023 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If you are convinced that the IRS did not receive your 2022 tax return then you can file it now---but it will have to be filed by mail.   E-filing is closed for 2022 returns.  You will need to print it, sign and date it in ink, and mail it in.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

As for the AGI that you need in order to e-file 2023, you can try the choice that says you did not file last year, or try using zero for your AGI.  If neither of those options let you e-file 2023, then file 2023 by mail.

Do NOT mail 2022 and 2023 in the same envelopes.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am not entirely certain whether or not the IRS received it.  Because, I still got my refund it's just, my 2022 Transcript is not there at all...  I'll try the "I did not file last year" method and pray that it works.  I will also push out a paper copy of my 2022 returns.  Last thing I need is "You owe me money!!!", fees and all that.  I thank you so much for the assistance!!!  But, I do have one question..  Can I have already begun filing my 2023 taxes, I got my AGI from Turbotax being, they have a copy of 2022's returns, it of course got rejected.  But, my last and final question is, can I start over?

If you received the expected amount of 2022 refund,

the IRS must have your 2022 tax return..

Sometimes your correct AGI doesn't match.

If zero doesn't work you have to file on paper via US MAIL.

starting over won't help.

@thywolfe 

if you fiddled with your 2022 return after filing, you could now have the wrong AGI in turbotax

@thywolfe 

" Because, I still got my refund it's just, my 2022 Transcript is not there at all... "

In your original post you did not tell us you received the 2022 refund----that is a very pertinent piece of information.  If you received your 2022 refund then the IRS did indeed receive your 2022 tax return.   There is no reason for you to mail in a 2022 return after all.   Your 2022 tax return was accepted and fully processed.

If you are having trouble with the AGI matching, then use zero or print, sign, and mail 2023.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No changes were made, I just simply scanned it for the AGI, nothing more nothing less.  Don't fix something that's not broken, am I right?  I very much appreciate it though!!

I did the zero method and moments later it went through!!  I was losing my mind over here, April is right around the corner too!  I very much appreciate your time and assistance!!  I very grateful, thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies