turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MissEEE333
Returning Member

Can I efile my 2020 return today 1/12/2022?

After many "technical difficulties" and other delays in collecting all the correct info for my TY2020 return I was finally ready to file today (1/12/2022) and a message pops up saying 

E-filing is Closed for the Season, You Can File by Mail

You can still file this return, but you'll need to walk through printing and filing by mail. TurboTax e-filing closed for the tax season on October 15, 2021  (Learn More)

I clicked Continue at the bottom of the page and the next page said TurboTax recommends e-filing!

click Continue again and it is walking me through the steps for e-file!

Should I continue through the steps to e-file? 

Is e-filing back open for TY2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

35 Replies

You can no longer efile a 2020 tax return using TurboTax. You must print and mail your return. The program will not let you efile the return. 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MissEEE333
Returning Member

Then why is it still offering e-file AND walking me through the steps?

Are you in the in the desktop software----it will "offer" e-filing until you try to actually e-file and then the software will recognize that you are past the deadline to e-file.      E-filing from TurboTax is permanently closed for 2020 returns.   You cannot e-file it.   Choose file by mail.  Print it , sign it and date it in ink and mail it in.    

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you are using the 2020 Desktop program to do 2020 continue on and just ignore any errors it will give you about Efiling.  You have to print and mail prior year returns.   

ps....Then when you efile 2021 enter zero for the 2020 AGI since you are filing 2020 late.

@mariagonzales   You have added on to someone else's question.   What is your question?  Are you trying to efile 2020 or 2021?  If you haven't filed 2020 yet or filed late try entering 0 for the 2020 AGI to efile 2021.

@mariagonzales   And what did you pay twice for?  If you already paid for 2020 Online you don't gave to buy the Desktop program to finish.   You can call and ask for the Desktop program.

@mariagonzales   OR  did you efile 2020 recently and it made you pay for Online again?  Sorry but Online is now only for 2021.   So if you efiled, you may have filed your 2020 return on the 2021 forms and it thinks you were filing 2021.  That's why it won't let you efile 2021 again.  Print out your return and see if your filed the right year income on the right year form.

How to get a copy after Efiling or printed for mailing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/my-tax-return/help/how-can-i-access-my-return-after-i-ve-e-filed-o...

Isn't that the purpose of a forum? lol I have my own thread. Is that legal to change your AGI?

Why would I do that? lol That's not even possible. 

That link does not say how you can get a copy after e-filing something that can't be e-filed. lol 

So e-filing is only available on the desktop version now? Why is this not stated somewhere on their website!

Yes you can change the prior year AGI.  It is only used to verify you to efile.  If you filed 2020 late or the IRS has not processed your 2020 return yet they don't have your AGI on file to verify you to file your 2021 return.   It's very common.   

MissEEE333
Returning Member

in a reply to someone else's question there was a link posted to another intuit forum that stated  

**Can I e-file prior-year individual returns?
Yes. You can generally e-file the currently due tax year and two prior years. Extension filings are only available for the currently due tax year.

**What about prior-year state returns?
Many states support e-filing the currently due tax year and two prior years, just like the IRS. Exceptions include Rhode Island and Maine. Rhode Island only allows e-filing of current-year returns. Maine allows e-filing for two prior years by individual taxpayers, but only supports the current year and one prior year for business returns. Check your state’s website for more details.

Which confuses me even more. So I am just trying to double double check because e-filing would have taken a rather big load off my shoulders right now.

We've had substantial property losses along with multiple life altering events in the last few years.

(As, I know, have many others) I don't currently have a printer. Or a car.  In order to "print it, sign it in ink and mail it" I have to take the bus somewhere I can print it, usually I'd say the library but they have very limited hours and access right now so I would have to take time off work.  After I get it printed, and signed in ink, its another trip on the bus to the post office. We've had high temps in the teens the last few days.

So, I was just REALLY hoping I could e-file today.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies