turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can i claim my wife as a dependent since she does not work

Unfortunately no, you cannot claim your spouse as a dependent on your return even know they do not work. TurboTax as a great FAQ that explains why with the new tax law passed on 1/1/2018 your spouse is not considered a dependent: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-is-the-child-tax-credit/00/25961

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can i claim my wife as a dependent since she does not work

You're behind on the times.  The standard deductions have changed the last few years.  No personal exemptions.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Claiming dependents can still matter on your return, for example with the earned income credit. 

We need to make sure that customers are entering their spouses information under "Spouse" and NOT dependents. 

Nenok88
Returning Member

I am married and don't work my husband files a 1099 each year am I classified a dependent ? And would that disqualify me from receiving stimulus payment?

@Nenok88 wrote:

I am married and don't work my husband files a 1099 each year am I classified a dependent ? And would that disqualify me from receiving stimulus payment?

A spouse can never be claimed as a dependent.  If you are legally married then you should be filing your tax return as Married Filing Jointly even if one spouse has little or no income.

If eligible for a stimulus payment based on the Adjusted Gross Income on your 2018 or 2019 tax returns, then each of you would receive a $1,200 stimulus payment.

Nenok88
Returning Member

Thank you!:-)

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You are not a dependent, you are spouse.  If you and your husband file a joint tax return, and you are eligible, you will receive a stimulus payment of $1,200 each.

Nenok88
Returning Member

If he owes back support will they take his check ? my part of the payment also?

I haven't worked since early 2018 due to injury, can my wife declare me as a dependant? I am however drawing compensation, how would that factor in?

@g_lebel82 wrote:

I haven't worked since early 2018 due to injury, can my wife declare me as a dependant? I am however drawing compensation, how would that factor in?

No.  A spouse can NEVER be a dependent of the other spouse.  You file a joint return even of only one had income.    Whether your income counts or not depends on the nature of the income and what form it is reported to you on.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

She filed married jointly, but i have no income. Am i considered a dependent?

If you are married and your wife filed married filing jointly, you are not a dependent, no matter your income. 

So can she file jointly and claim me as a dependent? How would i know if i was claim as a dependant on her tax?

No.  A spouse is never a dependent.  You just file a Joint return even if only 1 person has income.  A Joint return is one return for the both of you.  On a Joint return return she (and you) get a higher Standard Deduction than Single or MFS.  You are not a dependent.  You are the primary or secondary taxpayer on the Joint return.

READ the answers above.  A spouse can NEVER be a dependent.    File a joint tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies