turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bought turbotax with5 free fed& 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

Regardless, I am so sick of turbo tax . They are fraudulent in their advertising, confusing in their products that are not compatible with each other. I have transfer  info problems every year, and they keep changing formats for the worse. The support techs are nice, a few have hung up on me or I get disconnected and I live out in the country so I already have phone and internet connection issues, and have wasted many hours with customer service wait times on phone. Now throw in  unreliable software from turbo tax, and it is just pure Hell.. and I don't want to retype thousands of pages every year.
 I can't wait for Jackson Hewitt to launch! Or any thing better, easier.

Bought turbotax with5 free fed& 1 free state filing but am being charged to file state return, i have never been charged the last 10 years, why this time?

For all the people that say it was never free, you are definitely wrong. This is the 1st year that Turbo Tax has decided to RIP people off. You paid for 1 free state, filed electronically...and now they are charging using the same pricing and promise of a free state.
They will lose a few customers being deceitful.

@Kimmy1- It depends on the version that you are using. 

The web-based online version  is a set price for state and there is not extra charge for e-filing.

The CD/download desktop version that runs on your computer comes with one free state *software.   e-filing state has ALWAYS been extra.   I always e-file Federal for free and mail file state for the price of a stamp.   I have been using TurboTax since the very first year that TurboTax started offering e-file and state e-file has always been extra.

* Some retailers sell a basic version that is Federal only at a discounted price for people that do not need a state.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Well than apparently some people purchased CD download versions that had a glitch, and the glitch gave you 1 free state, electronically filed for free. The glitch lasted for years because I have used the same home and business, done 3 family members taxes, but never their state because I always saved the state for my own taxes, and I never paid to electronically file them, and I never mailed them in.

Kimmy1:
Are you in New York by any chance?    There is no state efile fee for New York state. 

For several years other states have had either a 19.99 or 24.99 state efile fee, depending on the time of year it is filed.   In early filing season there is the discounted 19.99 fee, which typically increases in March.   Several years ago I believe there were some promotions that had a free efile or that had a rebate one could submit for the efile fee, but that was a long time ago and not in recent years.    If you were somehow not charged for a state efile fee in the last few  years, then I would just be glad.   If it wasn't New York state, however, I don't know how it let you proceed.

Home and Business comes with an included state program download to prepare returns for that state, but there is a fee to efile each state return.  Likewise with the other editions that include a state program download.

You all that have paid for years, I believe you paid, but I have actually gone back 5 years. Every year I purchase their Audit Protection, and I have never once paid for state e-filing...and my state was e-filed. I live in Illinois. This was the 1st time I was asked to pay, so I guess I was lucky.
It actually sounds silly to say you can file and e-file 5 federal, but only file 1 state for free. If you don't offer ANY FREE STATE E-FILE, than what difference should it make how many free state taxes you enter to print.
There are too many people saying they always got 1 free state for people not to believe it.
Well I went back thru my records, it was free

@Kimmy1  mesquitebean  asked and remained me.   Those people that got state e-file for free might live in New York that has a law that state tax MUST be e-filed if using software to file and prohibits any tax software company from charging to e-file a NY state tax return.   NY is the ONLY state with such a law (that makes me wounder why other states do not do that, but so far NY is the only one).    So YES some state filers do get free e-file provided that are filing a NY state tax return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I've been using TurboTax for years to and this is the first year 2019. That I've been charged to download State forms. $40 to download State forms I've never been charged that before. Only $19.95 to e-file for the state all previous years State returns have always been included with the tax software. Must be time to move on somewhere else and get different software from somebody else.

That's a big negative Ghost Rider. I've been using TurboTax for years and I've never been charged on Deluxe or Premier to download State paperwork. $40 to download State returns. It was only $19.95 to e-file a state return ,

now, they're charging separately. To download State returns in any state.

Whenever I always used Premier or Deluxe. State paperwork was always included with the CD when you bought it at the store. It was only $19.95 to e-file with the state not additional $40 to download the forms. So you're talkin $40 to download the forms $19.95 to e-file and then $39.95 for the program. That's over $100.

@ chrisrcolbert  wrote:

I've been using TurboTax for years to and this is the first year 2019. That I've been charged to download State forms. $40 to download State forms I've never been charged that before. Only $19.95 to e-file for the state all previous years State returns have always been included with the tax software. Must be time to move on somewhere else and get different software from somebody else.

There has been no change in the way desktop software handles included state programs.  Not all desktop editions have a state program included, however, but this has been the case for years.  For instance, Deluxe comes both ways--with and without state.  So you need to explain more about exactly what product you purchased that didn't have a state program and where did you purchase it?   The following list will tell you which ones do have state program included

In desktop software (CD/download), most editions include a state program download, but some don't.

• Premier and  Home and Business both have an included state program.
  • Basic Edition does not have a state program at all.
  • Deluxe Edition comes in 2 versions--one that is a combo Federal and State, and one that is Federal-only.  When purchased directly from the TurboTax website, Deluxe is the combo Fed and State version.  When purchased elsewhere, one has to be careful as to which version of Deluxe one is buying if one needs a state program.

NOTE:   There is an additional fee in all editions above if one needs a second state program to prepare a state return for a different state.

There is a 19.99 state efile fee (24.99 later in filing season), except no fee to efile New York state return.  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

@ chrisrcolbert  

There has been no change in the way desktop software (CD/download version) handles included state programs.  Not all desktop editions have a state program included, however, but this has been the case for years.  For instance, Deluxe comes both ways--with and without state.  So you need to explain more about exactly what product you purchased that didn't have a state program and where did you purchase it?   The following list will tell you which ones do have a state program included:

In desktop software (CD/download), most editions include a state program download, but some don't.

• Premier and  Home and Business both have an included state program.
  • Basic Edition does not have a state program at all.
  • Deluxe Edition comes in 2 versions--one that is a combo Federal and State, and one that is Federal-only.  When purchased directly from the TurboTax website, Deluxe is the combo Fed and State version.  When purchased elsewhere, one has to be careful as to which version of Deluxe one is buying if one needs a state program.

NOTE:   There is an additional fee in all editions above if one needs a second state program to prepare a state return for a different state.

There is a 19.99 state efile fee (24.99 later in filing season), except no fee to efile New York state return.  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

Eukaryote86
Returning Member

5 free federal e-filings, and 5 free state filings (ONLY if you print out your state return and mail it off). If ANY user wants to e-file a state return, it is $24.99 (regardless of if you're the first user).

The claims on the packaging are definitely confusing, even misleading. For the longest time, I and others thought you got one free state filing. Really it is one free state DOWNLOAD. Meaning if you download software for California state, your remaining 4 users also can download California state software for free. If you have to file in another state, then it's $44.99 for each additional state. Your one free state software download can be done on different devices, including tablets. Hope that helps! I made sure with a TurboTax customer service representative. 

TurboTax can definitely be more clear about their services. All these commercials saying they're free free free hooks people at first. I felt duped wasting my time only to be told at the end I'd need to pay $60 for TurboTax Deluxe plus another $50 for state. I ended up deciding to buy Home and Business and split it with four other people. Much much cheaper. 

It won't let me download the state without paying first.  I've always had one free state.

I purchased the Deluxe CD but then upgraded to the Premier, thinking I had to have that to get the free state, but it still wants me to pay for the state download.

I'm not e-filing my state, I just want to download it!

@llkeebs wrote:

I'm not e-filing my state, I just want to download it!

Where did you purchase the CD?  The TurboTax retail Deluxe edition comes in two different versions.  One with and one without the state program download included in the purchase price.  Look at the box and if just has Deluxe Federal Returns on the front of the box the state program is not included.  If it has Deluxe Federal Returns and State Returns then the state program is included.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies