Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Automatic Extension of Time To File form sent by mail - can I still file my taxes electronically?

So, back in April 2021,

• My mom sent Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return) by mail, along with a check for $450. Turbo Tax was not used at all.
  • My mom sent Form VA-760IP (Virginia Automatic Extension Payment Voucher for Individuals) by mail, along with a check for $750. Turbo Tax was not used at all.

I am now filing her Federal and VA State taxes before the Oct. 15th deadline BUT I want to file them electronically using Turbo Tax. Based on the returns, she does not owe any money at all to IRS or VA so she should be getting back the $450 (from IRS) and $750 (from VA). How do I include this info in the Turbo Tax electronic filing? What are my options?

Thanks,

JS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Automatic Extension of Time To File form sent by mail - can I still file my taxes electronically?

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies

When you requested your extension you were supposed to pay your estimated tax due.  Did you enter the payment you made into your tax return?  Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Estimates and Other Taxes Paid>Other Income Taxes 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

when you paid with your request for extension of time, you put that amount on your tax return for a credit.

State and/or Federal.

enter under "estimated tax payments".

@fanfare The user states that they did not use TurboTax to file the extension request--so nothing went on the tax return when they sent the 4868.   They need to enter it now.

xmasbaby0: Thanks. I just entered the $450 and $750 in the current Turbo tax filing and now it is showing me the money that's due from IRS and VA. Thanks so much!!!

jimsam52

I sent a 4868 by mail, with my check for $470. Now am filing my return, which states I owe $454, which I have previously paid. How do I add this info to my electronic return?

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on 1040 you need to enter it. So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

For 2020 Federal Extension payments should be on schedule 3 line 9. And flows to 1040 line 31.

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension) go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies