turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

Asking for activation code again

@bskinn Please reach out to our live representatives so that you can receive one on one assistance with the issue you're facing: Contact TurboTax 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, guys. I know it's frustrating to get through this, but the EXPERTS have told us again and again and again to contact customer support if none of the suggested solutions work. So, I clicked on the customer support link provided by the EXPERTS, fill out the form re my activation concern, and send it out. It then automatically generated a service number along the phone number to call.  In less than 10 minutes speaking to a customer rep, I got a new FREE license code good for 5 computers.  It appears TT knows this issue has been around since 2019.  Please contact customer support. Good luck. 

Since I can't comment on the article you reference. I'm commenting here. The article isn't accurate or complete and the issue is not solved.  I installed a new printer after installing TurboTax - I had to disconnect the printer to make it work.  Re-entering a valid Activation code on the same computer/install should be sufficient and shouldn't require an hours long call with tech support.

I addition if you added a printer since installing TT, it will cause the same issue, unplug the printer and it worked for me.

BG84

This solved the issue for me (took out my thumb drive from my laptop). Thanks for the info!

I removed my thumb drive on my laptop and TT didn't ask for my code anymore. Thank you so much.

Kevin

I had this problem when working on my 2020 return so it was not fixed after 2019. 

For me the fix was simple - I had a flashdrive in a port - unrelated to TurboTax but it doesn't seem to matter.  As soon as I safely removed the flashdrive, TurboTax opened up and I could continue my return.  Many people store their returns on a portable flashdrive - I suggest you store it on the computer harddrive until you are finished.  Hope this works for others. 

Had this problem today.  Very frustrating.  This is first year I downloaded the product from Costco, I usually buy the CD from Walmart but Walmart is not selling it anymore.  I wish I had bought the CD from Costco instead of doing the download.  Anyhow - after an hour looking around on the internet I called costco.com on-line support and they immediately sent a message to intuit to resend the license key to me.  She said it would take up to 24 hours but it only took 30 minutes.  I entered the key and I was back in business.  All this on a Saturday afternoon.  I'm shocked to see that Intuit support only works 9-5.  You think they would work weekends during tax filing season.   

This worked for me today!

After I installed 2020 version and added the license code, it worked fine.

Then some time later, I plugged in a USB drive while TurboTax was running, no error either. It run fine next day as well.

Then this morning I need to e-file the return, TurboTax asked for license code again.

I called customer support, stayed with them for 20 minutes waiting for a solution. While waiting, I found this post and removed the USB drive, and it worked. I told TurboTax support, they have no idea of this bug!

Why the hell license code is tied with external drive!

Frustrating!!

Please, please don't FIX what was already working. Keep your Happy Customers

OR Risk losing them for good. 

The updater appears to be an INTUIT tool to lock out legitimate users.  ONCE ACTIVATED, WHY RE-ACTIVATE!!

JUST QUIT ASKING FOR ACTIVATION AFTER THE PRODUCT IS ALREADY ACTIVATED. This is why we are locked out ... our time is just as precious as your business. Lets make it convenient on both sides.

I would rather stomach dealing with IRS directly and feel the frustration than feel the same FRUSTRATION with a third party vendor. 

Make it convenient for your customers, or lose them! Period.

Quite a waste of time. Just reprogram your "updater" and let it not act as a Sherriff. 

There detection of changes to the computer needs to be improved - have you updated hardware, installed new hardware, usb stick, external drive?

em556
Returning Member

This could have explained why it kept asking for it every time I open TT.  I was reconfiguring the PC's partition/drives after I installed and activated the license.  I didn't change the drive that I installed in.  Eventually, it ran out of activation (5 times/5 computers).  Thank goodness the TT support team gave me another license code since they can't reset the old one and it can't be use anymore.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies