Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My child's income was $16000 can I still claim him as a dependent if he is under 24 and a full time student

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My child's income was $16000 can I still claim him as a dependent if he is under 24 and a full time student

As long as he lived with you more than 1/2 the year (no penalty for being away at school temporarily), did not pay more than 1/2 his own support, and no one else is claiming him, Yes, you can.

Note that he must file his own return for his income and must check the box that asks whether someone else can claim him as a dependent.  With that amount of income, it is likely that he will not get all his withheld tax back.  He may even owe Federal income tax.

my son lives with me and made over 16,000 last year! can i claim him or would it be better if i didnt and had him file by his self??

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. 

You can only claim his as a dependent if he meets the requirements as outlined in the following link.

Dependent qualifications

If he does meet the qualifications and you choose to claim him, be sure he marks that he can be claimed as a dependent by somebody else to ensure his tax return is computed correctly.  

Please see the link below to determine if he has a filing requirement.  It will depend on his filing status so the income amount varies.

Do I need to file a federal return this year?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies