Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anyone else missing money from federal return after filing through turbo tax free service?

The refund deposit was lower than expected so I contacted the IRS and they stated that they made the deposit in the full amount and that I needed to contact turbo tax to find the missing money.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Anyone else missing money from federal return after filing through turbo tax free service?

We cannot see your return or your account.   What is missing?   You do know that state and federal refunds come at different times, right?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am. Federal refund. 5126. Minis 171 for fees including pay from deposit.  I should have 4956. I received 3171. Thats 1785 missing. Thats alot. 

MY REFUND WAS LESS THAN I EXPECTED

There can be a number of reasons why your refund was less than the amount you expected. First of all, look carefully at your actual tax returns.  There is sometimes confusion about the amount of refund to expect when users misinterpret the “summary” they saw in TurboTax. The amount of your refund is on your tax return.  Federal refund line 20 on Form 1040  State tax forms are all different so we cannot tell you what line to look at on your state form.  BUT it is important to actually LOOK at your tax return forms yourself and see the amounts of your tax refunds and/or tax due.  A lot of confusion would be avoided by doing that.

TurboTax does not receive feedback from the IRS regarding money that was offset from your refund.  If you owed back taxes, child support, student loan debt, etc. you will receive a letter of explanation from the IRS in several weeks.  The WMR site will contain a message regarding your offset.  It is also possible that the IRS caught a mistake you made and reduced your refund. 

It is also possible that your state reduced your refund for debts owed in your state—if the state reduced your state refund you will receive a letter from the state.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107

Be aware also that your Federal refund and state refund do NOT come together.  Federal and state tax returns are processed by two completely separate entities.  There is no rule as to which one will come first,

Did you choose to have TT fees deducted from your Federal refund?  (Remember that if you did that, you also agreed to an extra refund processing fee of $39.99)

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-is-a-refund-offset/00/26301

Reduced Refund      https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203

NOTE: You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/who-can-garnish-an-income-tax-refund/L7cPPzDyc

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
iamthequeen420
Returning Member

Omg! I got my state two weeks ago! And this says order complete since last week, turbo got their money , I want mine! I swear I will not ever use this again. U have lost me as a customer. How u do someone like that in time like we’re living?! I bet u never sleep over it so idk why I’m even ranting on this post smh

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you referring to the system showing the balance of TurboTax fee is paid. This is an automated system update after you file your tax return. It does not  mean your tax refund has been processed and released by the IRS. Have you checked with Where's My Refund? If it shows the refund has been processed, approved and released and you used the Pay from My Refund please contact SBTG.

@iamthequeen420

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jatkinz1109
Returning Member

Yes ! I’m missing over half my federal return 

@Jatkinz1109 How many dollars are missing?

Melhubb

I am missing $1137 from my federal return. I spoke with a turbo tax representative whom told me it was due to the IRS adjusting my return which is NOT correct. My return was adjusted, yes, but it is still $1137 short from what the adjusted total is supposed to be. I am very upset and will be contacting turbo tax again to discuss this. It is NOT ok that money is being taken from people. I just want this fixed. 

This happened to me last year.  Best thing to do is download the return and ctrl f search that number.  It can tell you what it is and you can look to see if that is something to fight for.  Turbo tax hasn't really been helpful with that and irs always says lines are full call back tomorrow. I had to call a retired irs rep in the family to find that out.  It turned out in my case that Turbo tax filed for a fee extention without asking and irs turned it down.  I want going to fight that cause if have to pay it anyways just later.  Hope this helps

Turbo tax doesn't pay you.  Go to irs.gov and click refund status to see when you'll get your refund

Melhubb

Control f does not do anything when I press it. What number is it and where would I do a search for it? 

Download it.  Open it as pdf. Search document for amount missing.  Ctrl f at the same time is the short cut to search.  You can not search on turbo tax.  You need the actual document.  

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

More details and assistance on why your refund may have been lower than expected has been provided by clicking here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
siearah01

The same thing happen to mine, it was adjusted from the IRS but by the time i got it another 1158 was gone, no explanation 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies