turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

clagstar
Returning Member

Anyone else having problem e-filing with IRS Form 2210 under tax reform

No, I used the online version.

The problem is only on the online version now. They are aware of it, and will have a fix for it by the end of the week. 

@clagstar wrote:

Yes, I e-filed successfully today, 2/17/19, on my third attempt.  I had to leave form 2210 attached (although I did not receive an underpayment penalty) and had to add the explanation form (referencing 85% threshold) to get the algorithm to accept it.

Could u clarify what is the "explanation form (referencing 85% threshold)" please?  Is it a form separate from Form 2210?   The software automatically puts "85% waiver"ox on Part II Box A checkbox line which got my e-filings rejected.   

@Mark1 wrote:

The problem is only on the online version now. They are aware of it, and will have a fix for it by the end of the week. 

Did you get a software update to the desktop version?

Finally after making the guy go back again to talk to a superior he came back and admitted there is a known bug and is due to be fixed by Feb 19th.  I think this is online only.

CLew

Yes spoke with Intuit, bad advice on line in the software messages to go in and edit forms, which can't be done in online version, and if you buy the download Premier it will not import correctly the 2018 file from the online Premier version and you will be billed twice, which will be handled, but Intuit said as of 2/17 after 5PM ET that the Form 2210 error is not going to be corrected until 2/22/2019, but not definitive, that was the best estimate on the coding error.

@beethoven100 wrote:

When tax reform passed during 2018, I didn't realize I had to increase my withholding for 2018 to pay more tax which I'm now doing for 2019.  However, my 2018 tax went up enough for me to deal with underpayment penalty.  Until 2017, it seems like if you paid more than 90% of actual tax due, you can claim penalty waiver, but for 2018, IRS seems to be doing a one time lowering to 85% which I qualify for.  In part II of Form 2210, I checked box A, You request a waiver of your entire penalty due to tax reform or other reasons.  I put "85% waiver" on box A line.   (I think I qualify for waiver on another criteria other than 85% because I paid more tax in 2017 than tax due in 2018).

However, IRS keeps rejecting my return with code 32-FD-F2210-003 which has to be about Form 2210.  Anyone else having problem e-filing with Form 2210?  I understand I can paper file, but it's not only more convenient to e-file, and it may take months to know if IRS accepted your federal return by paper filing.  Are you required to paper file if you have to file Form 2210?  Do you have to include an explanation in a Word file about why you are requesting the penalty waiver if you have to paper file in this kind of situation?

They wouldn't let me switch to the desktop and said they would not refund me.  Once I started yelling at the guy he went back to his supervisor and that's when he came back and said it is a bug after all.

No. They said just wait a few days for the online software fix. 

I think we all just need to wait until the end of the week and refile once it’s fixed. They told me to not keep on efiling for now. We are only allowed a certain number of attempts. 

njsv
Level 1

Yup, running into the same problem with the online version. One eFile has been rejected already. And there seems to be no way to uncheck Part II (A) with the online version.

arlin

I'm also having the exact same problem with the online version.  Two phone calls to support and no one said anything about this being a known bug.  Very disappointed. 

I've burned 3 file attempts, still waiting to find out if the third one gets rejected.  I'm sure it will.  At this point i will wait til the end of this week and monitor this thread to see if anyone else can confirm the bug is fixed.

I have this problem.  I called Turbotax - no help - .they told me to file a paper copy - he knew of the problem - but no time frame on when it would be resolved.  When I said somebody on this forum said the problem would be fixed by 22 Feb - they told me to wait until 22 Feb...lol.  I tried monkeying around on the program.  Finally I checked the let the IRS figure out the penalty on the top of the form 2210 (turbo tax automatically generated the 2210 and it said  I had no penalty and checked box A and wrote in 85%, but then it was rejected because there was not statement attached).  The program allowed me to write a statement but would not attach it when it filed the tax return - it would only include page 1 of the 2210.  So when I checked this let the IRS figure out my penalty box - the form 2210 disappeared.   I'll try to update this post later when my return is accepted or rejected again.

So I also recieved the "F2210-003 - If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenaltyInd' is checked, then [WaiverExplanationStatement] must be attached to Form 2210" error.  But just got federal return accepted.  So in short, this is how I fixed the problem - I went to form 2210 and checked box C on the top of Form 2210 "check to have the IRS figure the penalty and send a bill if due."  When I printed off the forms that were filed - no form 2210 was filed although I can open the 2210 in the form viewer.  I don't know how the info is conveyed to the IRS to figure out the penalty (which in my case should be nothing - as this was just a work around to the problem in this thread.

I don’t think you can go to form 2210 to do that on the online version. Did you use the downloaded version of TurboTax or the online version? 

Downloaded version on a PC
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies