turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amend 2020 1040 return with a 1040SR

I need to amend my 2020 1040 return, which I filed myself.  I got TT to do that and I thought I started it in TT as an amended return. I can't find where I did that in the return preparation. But TT has come up with filing a 1040SR for the return due to my age in 2020 tax year.  Due to the time limitation I have to send in the return, can't file electronically.  It seems I should take the TT info/return and use it as the basis to file a 1040X that I will build myself. In the amended return I fill explain the reason for filing amended as opposed to the 1040SR. 

Or, is there some way to force TT to file an amended return? Then I can send the actual return prepared by TT. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Did you complete and file the original 2020 tax return outside of TurboTax?  If so, then you have to start a new 2020 tax return using one of the desktop editions and enter all your 2020 information Exactly as was entered on the original 2020 return.  Then in the File section of the program you have tell the program that you are printing the return for mailing.  Once you have completed the File section of the program then you can start the Amend process of the 2020 return.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Tax Forms
  • On Amend a Return click on the start button

If you did use the 2020 TurboTax desktop edition to complete and file the 2020 tax return, then start the 2020 desktop program and Continue the 2020 tax return.  Start the Amend process as shown.

The Form 1040 or the Form 1040SR is Not sent with the amended tax return.  Only the Form 1040-X is sent to the IRS along with any changed forms or schedules.  

The 2020 amended tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  You will need to sign and date the amended return and mail the amended return to the IRS using the address shown on the Filing Instructions for the tax return.

yes, as I posted, I filed the orignal return not using TT.

I already did what you are suggesting and created a TT 2020 return using the same data (input) as I used when I originally filed. Since  TT created a 1040SR and not the standard 1040 that I originally filed, I can't exactly duplicate  my original return in TT. That is why I posted to try  and find what may be done to fix this dilema. 

If TT has to create a 1040SR, which at this point it already has, it looks like I will now create a 2nd return, the 1040X. In my case here I have Social Security income that gets 'auto excluded' on the 1040SR and I will have to file the SS income and then exclude it separately due to my age and income level. So achieving the same end result of excluding SS income on the 1040SR.  

Don't worry about it being a 1040SR.  It's exactly the same as the regular 1040 just larger type so it goes on 3 pages instead of 2.  But the line numbers are still the same. 

If the line number amounts all match the original 1040 return you can now amend it.  Don't understand the problem with Social Security.  

There is absolutely no difference between the Form 1040 and 1040SR for entries or calculations.  The Only difference between the two forms is the size of the type on the 1040SR is larger, that's it.

Amending the 2020 tax return automatically creates a Form 1040-X.

Social Security income is not excluded.  You enter the benefits received and the program will calculate the taxable amount of the benefits if any.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
Single or Head of Household - $25,000
Married Filing Separately - 0

thanks for the reply

ok see that better now, lol larger type, guess that makes sense.

Since I get SS, I wanted to understand the exclusion that TT calc'd for me.

I just printed the full package which has the work sheet to calc the SS

exclusion. 

so now to create the amended, print and send in. at this point I assume when I go to create

the amended it will create the 1040X and not another 1040SR

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You don't create a separate 1040-X. You don't start a new return. You amend the 1040-SR that you already have, and TurboTax will create the 1040-X in the same file as the 1040-SR. See the following FAQ for instructions.

How do I amend my 2020 return?

When you file 1040-X, do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

It makes no difference which Form, 1040 or 1040-SR, TurboTax is giving you now.

@bbxrider 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies