turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Joheat

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

Your stimulus has nothing to do with your TAX return, however by doing a short version if your tax return it at least gives the IRS your current information, which should speed things up...AND it sped mine up

Raedis
Returning Member

I filed my form back in June cuz I thought that's what I was supposed to do since I made less than 12,000 I continued to check my payment status.. made the require correction and they responded back "our records don't match".  I did that several times.  So I tried filing my tax return and it was rejected.   I finally received my stimulus but I still want to file my tax return.  What should I do

@Raedis

If you used the IRS non-filer site to get a stimulus check, you will now get a  “duplicate SSN” rejection.  We are seeing people who did not notice or ignored the warning on that site about using it if they would be filing a tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
fuseliec

I did the same exact thing. I listened to someone and then couldnt file my taxes electronically. I mailed in with a note that I could file electronically and mailed in my taxes. They sent me my check back. So now I will have more penalties.

I filed my taxes for 18 an 19 at a tax place but I was also miss informed that I could youse a none file tool to get my Stimules check I was lied to an what happened was it exempted me from getting a stimulus check I basically disqualified myself there has to be a way to fix it cuz that’s screwed up an screwed me over 

There is no way to fix I did the same thing on accident basically you disqualified your self to get a stimulus check you exempted yourself I talk to Irs they don’t have the software set up to fix that issue 

If you didn't didn't get Stimulus Check yet you can probably get it next year when you file your 2020 return   See questions 8 & 12

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-requesting-my-economic-impac... 

kraddar

This happened to me my daughter decided to do the non-filers.  It can be fixed you have to submit the request that you submitted online as a non-filer to the IRS.  Check the box that says someone can claim me as a dependent print it all out and mail it to the IRS with a letter stating about you accidently submitted non-filers and your parents need to file an amended before October extension expires.  Hope this helps call the IRS it can be fixed...

Bawz1000

How long after filed on the NonFile did you receive the Stimulus check?

Raedis
Returning Member

• Between the weeks of September 6 and 20
mirandakp

When I file an amended return for my taxes, do I include the amount I owe for 2019 federal taxes along with the required paperwork... 1040x, W2, 1099?? 

When do I pay the amount I owe for 2019 tax return?

Thank you

Do not amend until the first return is fully processed and you pay the first tax due.   Did you efile the original return?  Was it Accepted?  How did you select to pay tax due?  By check or credit card or debit bank?  

Evadiva84
Returning Member

Hi I am a US citizen living in Canada for the past 6 years. I used the Nonfiler link to fill out the form to get my stimulus check. I accidentally checked the box that I can be claimed as a dependent. 

I just found out today from an irs representative that I will be ineligible for the check. He told me to fill form 1040x and then said 1040 and then back again to 1040x 

I am so confused now. Which one is the correct one to fix the dumb problem that I created. 

and when I check on the IRS2Go app or it’s.gov I receive this message. 
Your return is still being processed . A refund date will be provided when available. does this mean I will be getting a check or no? The irs representative didn’t have an answer for me. 

please someone walk me through this. I would really appreciate it. 

@Evadiva84 Sounds like you have been given some confusing information.  If you are a U.S. citizen you are supposed to file a U.S, tax return declaring your world-wide income--so unless you had NO income, you should not have used the non-filer site   ----  You should have filed an actual tax return.     You then made the additional mistake of saying you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  Dependents are not eligible for a stimulus check.  

It normally takes over four months for the IRS to process an amended return, but during the pandemic it is taking MUCH longer.  So the reality is that they will not process an amended return from you in time to issue a stimulus check to you in 2020. 

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can get when you file your 2020 tax return next year in 2021.  If you file a correct 2020 return next year you can still get the stimulus money next year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
philjp33

Not sure if this was already posted:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/amended-eip-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies