Solved: Re: Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix - Page 11

Evadiva84

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

Hi I am a US citizen living in Canada for the past 6 years. I used the Nonfiler link to fill out the form to get my stimulus check. I accidentally checked the box that I can be claimed as a dependent. 

I just found out today from an irs representative that I will be ineligible for the check. He told me to fill form 1040x and then said 1040 and then back again to 1040x 

I am so confused now. Which one is the correct one to fix the dumb problem that I created. 

and when I check on the IRS2Go app or it’s.gov I receive this message. 
Your return is still being processed . A refund date will be provided when available. does this mean I will be getting a check or no? The irs representative didn’t have an answer for me. 

please someone walk me through this. I would really appreciate it. 

@Evadiva84 Sounds like you have been given some confusing information.  If you are a U.S. citizen you are supposed to file a U.S, tax return declaring your world-wide income--so unless you had NO income, you should not have used the non-filer site   ----  You should have filed an actual tax return.     You then made the additional mistake of saying you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  Dependents are not eligible for a stimulus check.  

It normally takes over four months for the IRS to process an amended return, but during the pandemic it is taking MUCH longer.  So the reality is that they will not process an amended return from you in time to issue a stimulus check to you in 2020. 

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can get when you file your 2020 tax return next year in 2021.  If you file a correct 2020 return next year you can still get the stimulus money next year.

philjp33

Not sure if this was already posted:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/amended-eip-return

dkess7

@TarheelEd 

So did this get figured out? 

Do I really got to put this in the mail and wait 16 weeks?

IS THIS SOLVED OR WTF

@dkess7 wrote:

@TarheelEd 

So did this get figured out? 

IS THIS SOLVED OR WTF

If you used the IRS non-filer website to register for the stimulus and now need to file a 2019 tax return, the only way to file the 2019 federal tax return is to mail the return.  E-filing a 2019 tax return using TurboTax closed after October 15, 2020.

• Before you mail, write Amended EIP Return at the top of your 1040 form (your federal return), without writing over any other information or fields.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

bkn79

I also accidentally filed non-filer for 2019, and followed the advice on this thread to correct my error. This is my timeline:

May 2020: Accidentally filed non-filer

June 2020: Filed an amended 1040x paper return, with a cover letter explaining my error

June 2020: Made a payment for taxes due, ~$2500

....waited patiently...no update on my IRS.gov account....

February 2021: Received a paper check refund for ~$2500 (and no documents from IRS)

February 2021: (plan to) return the paper check to the IRS by mail marked VOID with brief explanation cover letter

I'm assuming the IRS has yet to process my paper return. I assume returning the voided check would be right thing to do.

Does this make sense, or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

raymareno65

How do i file non filers taxes for the stimulus check cant get any help

Evadiva84

I was on the same boat. I called my accountant and he did it for me. I believe he filed for 2020 taxes. I got all 3 stimulus checks in 14 days . Good luck

KrisD15

If you mean you normally don't file a return, file a 2020 return and claim 1 dollar "Other Income" (found under Wages & Income") in order to file a return now for tax year 2020.

If you mean that you filed and said that someone else can claim you for tax year 2020, but that is not the case and you need to correct that, you will need to file an amended return and claim yourself. 

You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return.

Please click here for how to amend a return you already filed

@raymareno65