turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

xiaojunwang0214
Returning Member

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

I had emailed both my federal and state return about 3 weeks ago with my w2 forms, and then I filed non-filter this week by mistake, what should I do to amend it? I don't have anymore w2 form since I had already mailed it over. do I need to mail my return again with 1040x? if I mail form 1040x do I still need to include w2? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I would wait, they should process your paper return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m confused. What is the street address that I need to send to? There are addresses for form 1040 and 1040X? Which one?

Now I am preparing to mail out my 1040 tax return and cover letter that explain I completed non-filer registration. However, I am not sure which address I should send to. There are two options: 

1. 1040 form sends to Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Ogden, UT 84201-0002 Or

2. 1040X form sends to Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999-0052

It’s confused me since I want to send 1040 form, not 1040X.

Thank you!

Sara S

Again, I live in Philadelphia, PA. And I am not sure which address I should mail out my 1040 tax return and my cover letter to adjust and explain the reason why I completed nofiler registration. 
Need Help!

Thank you in advance!

sara s

Jdaniel15

They are NIT processing mailed in tax filings!

I'm wondering if you're able to track your refund, because I made the same mistake (filed a non-filer) and then filed my actual return by mail on April 18th and I'm still usable to track my refund.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You will not be able to track your refund until processing of mailed in tax returns resumes, and it is not yet known when that may be. Currently, returns are being stored securely and will be processed in the order received once normal processing resumes in the future. 

@phenominal40

Hi if I accidentally filled up the non fillers online and my boyfriend is trying to claim me as his tax return what paper i shuld summit and whos name mines or his

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you used the non-filer system to apply for your stimulus payment, then you essentially filed a tax return for yourself showing no income.  You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return after using the non-filer system.  If you are claimed as a dependent, then you are not eligible to receive a stimulus payment at all.

@Daleyzaaa66

Thank you for you response. One other question. I just checked the IRS website to see where to send my amended return and there are two different addresses for 1040 and 1040x. Since I am amending my non-filers return with my 1040 and a cover letter should I send this to the address for the 1040? Or since I'm sending the 1040 in as an amended return and will be writing "1040x amended return" on top of the paper 1040 per your reply should I send this to the address for 1040x? Sorry, this is so confusing! 

Thanks so much.

Aaron

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Send it to the address for 1040's.

Question.. I filled out a non-filer form for my husband because he has not worked any in 2018 or 2019 due to an accident so no income at all. I accidentally clicked he CAN be claimed as a dependent and I have no clue why I did that. I assume I rushed though it. How can I get that changed on his 1040X forms so he can receive his $1200. Is there ANY way to get it changed? It would really help with me, out of work and still haven't received any unemployment ugh just a nightmare.

Thanks, 

Michelle

6/23/2020

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Go here for stimulus info:  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

This FAQ site may answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

xgao01

I sent my file at the end of May by mail, but I accidentally filled out the non-filers two weeks ago, and now I already got the 1200 dollar. I tried to e-file my tax-return file but it was rejected. Should I send a 1040X form? I don't have the record of the original 1040 form because I think the system automatically generated for me, and I accidentally clicked start over in the non-filer system. What should I do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies