Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 tax return

If a 2019 tax return was sent back to the IRS because of a old address that was still on file, how do you retrieve it? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

2019 tax return

Tax return----or do you mean your refund was sent back?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/how-do-i-replace-a-lost-or-damaged-tax-refund-check/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2019 tax return

I’m sorry, yes the 2019 refund check was sent back.  

2019 tax return

You will need to follow up with the IRS to have them trace it and re-issue it to your current address.   Have you filed a 2020 return with your new address----or changed you address with the IRS yet?

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

2019 tax return

Yes, it was just filed and processed yesterday with the new address and now added direct deposit instead of by mail now.  

2019 tax return

Good.   Then use the link I gave you to have that 2019 check traced and re-issued to you.

2019 tax return

I sent in a change of address form last week and sent it through the mail.  

How do I trace it? I didn’t not see a section in that link that shows how to trace your refund for last year.  It was just a link that shows the different menthols to change your address.  

I might not be looking in the right area.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

2019 tax return

I don't think you can track a change of address form.    You can track your refund, but the address on your IRS account will be updated when they process the address change form, Form 8822.   @Jpuente21

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2019 tax return

I didn’t clarify.  

I meant to say. How do you track a 2019 tax refund when I’ve just filed my 2020 taxes.  Wont the tracking system only track the current one? 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

2019 tax return

The individual tax return you filed for a refund this year (or the last six months of last year) can be accessed through "Where's My Refund?". You can check on the status of your refund 24 hours after you e-file. If you filed a paper return, please allow 4 weeks before checking on the status.

You can track a 2019 return, just enter the amount of that return and WMR will search for any return with that refund amount.     @Jpuente21

2019 tax return

Okay, I understand now.

So just to clarify,

I’ve sent the form to change my address last week.   I will allow about 4 to 6 weeks for the IRS to update it into the system and from there, that will automatically alert them to resend the 2019 tax return?  I do not need to do anything more from this point?  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

2019 tax return

Yes, but to confirm for your own piece of mind, call 1-800-829-1040 is confirm this.

2019 tax return

Thank you all!  I appreciate the help! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies