turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-misc needs to be on schecule 1 not schedule c

I receive a 1099-misc as a UAW benefit. Turbotax insists in doing a schedule C. The instructions from the UAW says it should be reported on Schedule 1.

With the thousands of UAW worker this should not be a problem but every year I run into this. Most years I just leave off the 1099-misc since it in only around $20.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You should not omit income, even small amounts. You can enter it as other income. Be sure to identify exactly what the payment is for when you enter it.

• Wages & Income
  • I'll choose what I work on
  • Less Common Income select Start (or Update) for 
  • Miscellaneous Income.
  • Other reportable income and you can enter your own description(s) and amount(s).

When I go there it says do not enter income reported on form 1099 - Misc.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Click on Wages & Income

Scroll down PAST Self-Employment to "Other Common Income" 

Click Show more

Scroll down to 1099-MISC

Click Start

Enter the 1099-MISC and answer the interview questions carefully. 

If applicable, you should be selecting No, not for work No, not to make money and received only in 2020 if this was not self-employment. 

It will be reported as income, but not Self-Employment. 

"TRADE OR BUSINESS

A trade or business has been defined as “holding one’s self out to others as engaged in the selling of goods or services.” (Deputy v. du Pont, 308 U.S. 488 (1940), Frankfurter, J., concurring). The Small Business/Self- Employed section of the IRS Web site at www.irs.gov defines it as “an activity carried on for a livelihood or in good faith to make a profit.” Revenue Ruling 58-112 further characterizes a trade or business activity as one that is regular, frequent and continuous. The regularity of activities and transactions and the production of income are important elements. Taxpayers do not need to make a profit to be in a trade or business as long as they are able to earn a profit and have a good-faith motive to do so. They must, moreover, make ongoing efforts to further the interests of the business."

Source

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Here is the answer.  Go to Schedule 1, line 8. click on the little box next to the line and the "Other Income worksheet" opens.  These are selections there to enter your misc. income.  Good luck

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To enter the 1099-MISC, enter this exactly how it is intended to be entered. Enter this into the program and not on the form or worksheet.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income> 
  2. Other Common Income>1099-MISC
  3. This will allow you to enter this as income that is not reported on a Schedule C.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I appreciate all the answers some seem to reference the online version of Turbotax because the paths mentioned are nothing like what I see. I can't use the forms option because no forms are available for my version of Turbotax yet. I am using a retail CD product for Mac.

Thanks again for the reply's.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies