turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-G 2020

I got a 1099-G 2020 form from the State of Hawaii. This is regarding a tax refund I received in June 2020.

When I try to enter that into Turbotax, I see only entry dates for 2019 and earlier in the drop down box.

So how do I enter this as a 2020 tax refund? 

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-G 2020

You are correct.  When you transfer a previous year's return it starts a new return.  You cannot transfer the previous year into a return that is already started or completed.

Transferring the previous year does give you a head start on the current year. 

@ rmweiss12

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

1099-G 2020

You should enter this for 2019.  .

A tax refund you received in June of 2020 would be for a tax year of 2019 or earlier. 

Tax year 2020 is being completed now.  You are preparing your 2020 tax returns now. 

You would not have received a refund for 2020 in June of 2020. 

1099-G 2020

OK but on the 1099-G 2020 it states that the refund is for tax year 2020.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

1099-G 2020

Form 1099-G reflects state refunds calculated for previous tax years. You have not completed your 2020 state income tax return so it can't be your 2020 state refund amount. Since you received the refund in 2020, it's included as income on your 2020 income tax return and may be taxable.

• You are a cash basis taxpayer. Under the cash method, income is not counted until cash (or a check) is actually received.
  • Per the IRS instructions for form 1099-G, Box 3: Box 2 Amount Is For Tax Year: No entry is required in box 3 if the refund, credit, or offset is for the 2019 tax year. If it is for any other tax year, enter the year for which the refund, credit, or offset was made. 
  • See Do I need to report the state or local refund I got last year? Is it taxable?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-G 2020

Thanks for the reply. After talking to a tax export we concluded that I do not need to file the 1099-G 2020 given the special circumstances of the transaction. HI withheld cap gain tax at the time of sale, then calculated the actual tax due and refunded the excess amount paid. So not really a tax refund, just a return of excess taxes withheld. Apparently TT can not handle this kind of transaction.

Here is another question: Is it possible to import my 2019 tax return into a completed 2020 return (all on TurboTax Mac Desktop), without having to start a new return. I know I can start from scratch with a 2019 return but I didn't do that for some (stupid) reason. Now I have a completed 2020 return with wrong or no 2019 information for comparison.

Thanks for any advice.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

1099-G 2020

Follow the instructions in the this FAQ to transfer last year's return into TurboTax for Mac.

1099-G 2020

Yes, that will work but it does NOT transfer 2019 into an already completed 2020 return. I would still have to start a new 2020 return.

1099-G 2020

You are correct.  When you transfer a previous year's return it starts a new return.  You cannot transfer the previous year into a return that is already started or completed.

Transferring the previous year does give you a head start on the current year. 

@ rmweiss12

TheresaWilliford
Returning Member

1099-G 2020

I need this information to complete my 2020 tax return

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

1099-G 2020

If you need a copy of your 1099-G, you must contact your state Department of Revenue. Please click here to find contact details. 

ced78

1099-G 2020

I already filed my taxes I approved for federal but states pending I forgot filed my 1099 g form 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

1099-G 2020

You will need to file an amended return, but don't do it until your original return gets processed.   Depending on how much unemployment you received, you may not need to do the amendment.   If you receive a notice from the IRS telling you to amend, you can use this link to do so, but the form will not be ready until later this month.    @ced78  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies