Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

curiouser

1031 like kind exchange

I have a 1031 like kind exchange. Turbo tax created a Sch D and a 4797 and recognized a taxable gain. I deleted all real estate entries and tried to enter just the exchange not anything related to a sale. The forms were still created. Others said to zero out the Sch D and 4797. However the new property cost $12,000 less than the property sold so I need to recognize the $12,000 gain. But not the erroneous $128,000 gain that turbo tax created. 

Separately, turbo tax recognized a full year of depreciation when I sold the property after 6 months of the year? How do I not claim depreciation expense on property sold in the same year?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1031 like kind exchange

It almost appears as if there is either an input error and/or you are entering the transaction in the wrong section of the program. 

Ensure that you are entering the transaction in the Sale of Business Property section of the program (under Less Common Business Situations) and that the appropriate box is checked (see screenshot).

1.png

You might ultimately want to contact Support, via the link below, for further assistance and step-by-step instructions for entering this transaction.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

View solution in original post

1 Reply

1031 like kind exchange

It almost appears as if there is either an input error and/or you are entering the transaction in the wrong section of the program. 

Ensure that you are entering the transaction in the Sale of Business Property section of the program (under Less Common Business Situations) and that the appropriate box is checked (see screenshot).

1.png

You might ultimately want to contact Support, via the link below, for further assistance and step-by-step instructions for entering this transaction.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies