turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1. I just logged in and it says I didn't file with Turbo Tax in 2020? I did electronically through Turbo Tax but using a CD version. Why doesn't it show up here?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1. I just logged in and it says I didn't file with Turbo Tax in 2020? I did electronically through Turbo Tax but using a CD version. Why doesn't it show up here?

An online TurboTax account does not store your return that you prepared using the CD/download, nor does the online account "know" that you used the CD/download last year.  The return you prepared using the CD/download is only stored on your own hard drive.  It will not "show up" in your online account.

You can transfer the tax file to the online version if you want to though.   Even if the 2020 tax file is on your hard drive you can transfer it to the online software at the very beginning before you enter any other 2021 data

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

When you use the downloaded program none of that information is stored in the ONLINE system ... it is only on the computer you used or any backups you made.  

Now when you start the 2021 return you are asked what you used last year and if you say the downloaded version then you will be directed on how to transfer that info into the online system. 

An online TurboTax account does not store your return that you prepared using the CD/download, nor does the online account "know" that you used the CD/download last year.  The return you prepared using the CD/download is only stored on your own hard drive.  It will not "show up" in your online account.

You can transfer the tax file to the online version if you want to though.   Even if the 2020 tax file is on your hard drive you can transfer it to the online software at the very beginning before you enter any other 2021 data

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies