turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why are questions archived?

I've posted my question 3 times in different formats because I don't know why TT keeps archiving or deleting.  Calling the support line did not help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErickaY

Posts are archived by our program automatically after 6 days if the question has not been answered. This is to prevent the flood of unusable questions and proactively support the questions with positive answers. 

The users may "requested more details", which looks like an answer but it is not. They actually need to comment in an "answer" like I did in order for the post to stay relevant. 

I hope I answered your initial questions and I hope VolvoGirl answered your subsequent question 🙂 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Are you posting numbers?  Like phone numbers or ssn?  Try again.  This one got though.

no numbers other than years & number of shares,  al other data very generic

In 1993 we bought 132 B shares of a fund & reinvested all dividends.  In 2005 the B shares plus dividends were exchanged for A shares in a tax-free transaction all dividends reinvested & no sales.  In 2018 we sold 164 shares.  Our 1099B shows the sale of the original 132 B shares & 32 of the A shares.  I think that since the B shares were exchanged, all of the 164 sold shares should be A shares.  Am I wrong?

Did all the B shares convert to A class?  It should say on your 1099B statement what fund the shares were sold out of.  A and B should be be listed separately if you sold any left over B shares.  

Did you sell all your shares of both?  If not you might have some work to do to figure out the cost basis since you reinvested the dividends.  The reinvested dividends bought more shares and you can add the $ back into your cost so your gain will be less.

Volvogirl,  I'm trying to give more detailed info but keep getting rejected.  TT thinks I'm trying to post "forbidden" numbers.  Don't know what to do.  Frustrated!

Volvogirl,  Just to clarify.  Since all B shares were converted to A shares, should I be using all data related to A shares with the date of the exchange as my starting point?  (I have a database containing the reinvested dividends.)  I really appreciate your help!  

It doesn't really matter.  All the shares you had over 1 year will be long term.  I never thought about which date to use.  I have mutual funds that converted too but haven't sold any yet.  
ErickaY

Posts are archived by our program automatically after 6 days if the question has not been answered. This is to prevent the flood of unusable questions and proactively support the questions with positive answers. 

The users may "requested more details", which looks like an answer but it is not. They actually need to comment in an "answer" like I did in order for the post to stay relevant. 

I hope I answered your initial questions and I hope VolvoGirl answered your subsequent question 🙂 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies