Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Possible tax fraud

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Possible tax fraud

@ megnic1342  wrote:  "Possible tax fraud"

That's pretty broad.  What are you referring to, and what is it you need to know from the community forum?

Possible tax fraud

Would you care to expand on that statement?  This is not a chat room but a message board where you have to describe your problem in complete sentences.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Possible tax fraud

Are you looking to report tax fraud to the IRS? If so, click here to learn more. TurboTax cannot report tax fraud for you. 

@megnic1342

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kitty_B

Possible tax fraud

Received a turbo tax code text message.... Problem is I didn't sign onto turbotax, nor was I on line at the time.  Any suggestions on what to check?

Possible tax fraud

@ Kitty_B wrote:

Received a turbo tax code text message.... Problem is I didn't sign onto turbotax, nor was I on line at the time.  Any suggestions on what to check?

Was it a 6-digit code?  It could be for a log-in for verification, or it could be an efile verification code, etc. 
We won't know in this user forum if someone tried to access your account or not.   It might be as simple as someone entering their phone number wrong in their account settings.  But there are some things you can check and do.

You can check activity in your account this way, and it will show you recent log-ins:

• In the left menu column click on Intuit Account near the bottom
  • At the account settings page click on Sign In & Security.
  • Scroll down to Account Activity.
  • Review sign-in activity there.

While you are there in your Account Settings, it's a good idea to change your password--just in case.

This is a user community forum, and I don't work for TurboTax.  If you have more concerns about this issue, you can discuss it with the folks at TurboTax Support to see if they have any additional suggestions.

If you are using a paid edition (PLUS or higher), you have phone support.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form to get a phone number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

If you are using Free Edition, phone support is not included unless you upgrade to PLUS for a fee.  But you can contact a TurboTax Support agent for free directly via messaging at Twitter or Facebook.

https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax
or
https://www.facebook.com/turbotax

Possible tax fraud

My ex-wife accusing me of breaking into her turbo tax account that we both filed jointly last yeat for l buy this year I filed separate. Well, I didn't because I opened my new account under my name

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Possible tax fraud

Both you and your ex may want to look into getting an IP PIN, a 6 digit pin that the IRS issues to a taxpayer who has demonstrated a reasonable concern of tax identity theft.

The 6 digit pin is mailed to you in December. Since it does not appear on any credit reports and is sent to you through the legally secure Post Office, it would be very difficult for anyone to know your IP PIN...and if you each get your own, then you can be assured that you two aren't interfering with each other.

When you e-file your return, you have to supply the 6 digit pin, or your return is rejected.

I wouldn't be surprised if IP PINs became the standard for everyone eventually, not just for victims of tax identify theft.

Please look at this IRS webpage for how to get an IP PIN and suggest to your ex that she do the same thing to get her own.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies