Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paid Family Leave

Do I check the Paid Family Leave box after I enter my w-2 if I have a separate 1099 for the family leave? Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Paid Family Leave

If your Paid Family Leave was not reported on your W-2 then no, you would not check the box for paid family leave after entering that W-2.  When you enter your W-2, the questions after the W-2 are only related to income on the W-2 you had just entered.

If you received a 1099-G for your paid family leave, this is reported separately under Unemployment in the Income section.

Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Paid Family Leave

If your Paid Family Leave was not reported on your W-2 then no, you would not check the box for paid family leave after entering that W-2.  When you enter your W-2, the questions after the W-2 are only related to income on the W-2 you had just entered.

If you received a 1099-G for your paid family leave, this is reported separately under Unemployment in the Income section.

Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave

Paid Family Leave

Thanks for clarifying!

Paid Family Leave

I have something similar last year. I have 1099 from CA, which grants 8 week paid leave.

How does one know if Paid Family leave is reported on W2? which box would determine there is PFL in the W2 form? is it box 12 with some code?

Something similar https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/family-leave/00/2058971

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Paid Family Leave

"Normally", PDFL appears on a W-2 that is NOT from your employer, but comes directly from an insurance company engaged by your employer to cover this.

That is, PFL should appear on a 1099-G from the California EDD (Economic Development Department) or on a W-2 from an insurance company, but NOT from your employer. No box on the W-2 determines that it is PFL.

Sadly, HR department are constantly telling employees that this or that is "PFL", but HR departments don't really understand CA law. When in doubt call the CA EDD who are the department who handles the PFL program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies