Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

vivekp07
Returning Member

On my 1099-B, the 1b (date acquire) field is blank. It doesn't have anything in it at all. When I try to leave that space blank n TurboTax, it tells me I must enter date

I am getting stuck on that screen where it asks me to enter the Date Acquired under CompleteCheck. Any idea how to resolve it? I tried on mobile app and desktop but that page just keeps loading my worksheet and gets stuck and doesn't let me type anything. Thanks

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

On my 1099-B, the 1b (date acquire) field is blank. It doesn't have anything in it at all. When I try to leave that space blank n TurboTax, it tells me I must enter date

To resolve this issue you may need to completely delete this particular transaction and then enter it manually.  It has resolved the issue in other cases.

Be sure to record your information before you delete it, then complete the following action before the re-entry.

• Delete the entry in question.
  • Clear cache and cookies, as well as browsing history from your browser. 
  • Once completed, open your TurboTax return again and put the sale back in choosing manual entry.

When I walk through the steps, as you can see from the image below, you must select the check beside 'Something other than a date'.

If you still have difficulty, make sure the date acquired reflects the correct holding period.  It's not important other than to have the correct holding period for the results to be calculated accurately for tax on your return.

• Long term is a holding period of more than one year and receives capital gain tax treatment (0%, 10%, 15%, 20% depending on your regular rate of tax)
  • Short term is a holding period of one year or less and receives ordinary gain tax treatment (your regular rate)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@YasiSid Well, the Option #3 workaround did not end up working out for me. After painstakingly going back and modifying all of my transactions as instructed, I still cannot clear the review/check at the end. Starting to get a little bit more frustrated again. I'm all set to e-file my return but this is holding me up.

I'm considering trying to re-do everything in a competitor tax software. As time-consuming as that will be, I don't want to wait until end of March to be able to e-file (and frankly, I don't have a high degree of trust in filing via the mail).

@DianeW777 I think you are misunderstanding the problem, and your suggestion is unfortunately not helpful. Many of us in this thread have been down that road already and it is not the correct solution.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

There are some steps here that have worked for others.  I think this provides more details about actions you can take to complete your tax return.

Detailed steps to potentially eliminate this experience for you.

• For others with this issue:
    1. Delete your imported 1099.
    2. Click Add more sales
    3. I selected Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Other > Continue.
    4. Click I'll type it myself
    5. Fill out the lines should be self explanatory.
    6. Answer yes or no. 
    7. Select More than a few sales (4+) This will allow you to enter totals and not every individual line
    8. You should be able to take it from here... At the end it will ask you to upload a PDF of your 1099 for documentation.

Critical Importance

Once complete, you must make sure to continue through the entire tax process (the next page will be "let's check your capital gains so far". If you don't complete the process this way then it won't trigger TurboTax to redo your review process. If you did this part correctly then when you click review on the left side it should show the TurboTax lady in the banner that says "Let's get ready for your expert review". Step through this process completely without clicking back to another section.

For more information covering this topic the discussion thread here may help you, specifically form @shdw.

[Edited: 02/28/2021 | 1:41p PST]

Thanks Diane. This worked for me as of 3/1/2021. I deleted my 1099 from Webull. I went back to wages and income and added a new one manually. It asked some generic questions like whom the broker was (Webull Financial) and then asked if I had more than 4 transactions. It asked for net sales, and then net cost basis, giving me a return of xxxx. I then made sure to manually add any adjustments (wash sales) and continued. At the end I uploaded a PDF of my Webull return and finished the rest of my federal and then state. Not exactly how I feel it should go since it is able to do fine with my other returns (TD Ameritrade) but alas, it worked just a little dumb.

m095562

thanks; this worked 

Vamom1

This is still a problem mid-March 2021. It's a shame TurboTax can't correct this. Not only are we paying for the tax prep service, we then have to pay to mail it in since we can't e-file due to the error. Not a good look.

The date acquired date is not necessarily known to the brokerage that sold the stock.  You should go into your records and try to remember when it was acquired, at least approximately.  The software is trying to ascertain whether the gain on the sale is long or short term.  You don't need an exact date, but it should be reasonable.  Stock that was held for more than a year is considered long term.  A year or less is short term.  That is the most important thing to keep in mind.  Just put in a date that will tell the software whether it needs to calculate short or long term.

@Vamom1

"Just put in a date that will tell the software whether it needs to calculate short or long term."

Seriously ??? As if it was that simple of a  fix. 

Of course we've tried all the dates to enter into the field and that is the problem that it keeps coming back with an error .

@ReneeM7122 @Vamom1 

Any update if this issue has been corrected by turbo tax?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

A update to the 1099-B issue has been provided by clicking here.

Thank you so much!!

jennrod12

My 1099-B is from Vanguard and at the bottom of the form it says, "For securities sold that were acquired on a variety of dates, Box 1b may be blank."  So I'm thinking of changing my answer for box 1b to "Various (or more than one date)".  Anyone think this will be a problem?  It doesn't seem any more dishonest than manually entering a random date that's more than 1 year old.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. There is no harm to enter a random date from a year ago just as long as you know it's long term. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies