turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On-line & Download?

In tax year 2020, 2019, & 2018 I used the on-line version. As I go to prepare my 2021 taxes, I ordered the download version. The DL version was not able to find the 2020 tax file on my computer.  I am not able to download the 2020 .TAX file. (not sure why)

When I log in online, it shows I have the 2021 Self-Employed version, and I started to prep using it.  When I bought the 2021 downloadable, does it automatically grant me access to the on-line version?  If I continue with the on-line version (and if it meets my needs) will I need to pay again for this 2021 online version? (I already paid TT/Intuit for the 2021 download version).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On-line & Download?

OK  one thing at a time.   Online and Desktop program are separate and separately priced.  You can't apply to Desktop payment to the Online version.   

Yes you can transfer 2020 online return into the 2021 program.  Don't know why you couldn't download the .tax2020 file.  Were you in the right account?   But the other way is to start a 2021 online return and transfer into that.  Sounds like you did that so you can use the steps below. 

If you already started a 2021 online return you can open it in the Desktop program without paying for Online.  If  you do finish and file from the Online version you will have to pay for the Online version.

You can download the .tax2021 data file without paying for Online and continue in the desktop version. First download the .tax2021 file from Online. How to Save the tax file
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

How to switch to the Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

View solution in original post

2 Replies

On-line & Download?

Ok ... stop and think.   If you bought the downloaded program you should use the downloaded program ... do not pay the online fee as well.   If you started the 2021 return using the online version and want to finish with the downloaded version  then go to the home screen ... scroll down... choose the 2021 tab and save the .taxfile now.  Then open the 2021 program you installed and OPEN that return file ... do NOT try to transfer it.

On-line & Download?

OK  one thing at a time.   Online and Desktop program are separate and separately priced.  You can't apply to Desktop payment to the Online version.   

Yes you can transfer 2020 online return into the 2021 program.  Don't know why you couldn't download the .tax2020 file.  Were you in the right account?   But the other way is to start a 2021 online return and transfer into that.  Sounds like you did that so you can use the steps below. 

If you already started a 2021 online return you can open it in the Desktop program without paying for Online.  If  you do finish and file from the Online version you will have to pay for the Online version.

You can download the .tax2021 data file without paying for Online and continue in the desktop version. First download the .tax2021 file from Online. How to Save the tax file
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

How to switch to the Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies