Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alabama began issuing drivers licenses with 8 digits on 12/01/2018. Turbo Tax will only allow 7 digits to be entered. Please fix!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Alabama began issuing drivers licenses with 8 digits on 12/01/2018. Turbo Tax will only allow 7 digits to be entered. Please fix!

GOT an FAQ now with a sign-up for when it's fixed :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4584210-new-alabama-ids-with-eight-digits-are-getting-an-error-mes...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

11 Replies
GabiU
Level 15

@graeter.michael Where in the program is it prompting you to enter your driver's licence?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GabiU
Level 15

I'm going to need your help to get more information. Please send me a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the directions below:

1. Sign into your online account.

2. Locate the Tax Tools on the left hand side of the screen.

3. A Drop down will appear. Click on Share my file with agent.

5. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK, the tax file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.

6. Please provide the Token Number that was generated onto a response to this thread.

Thank you for your quick response. In order to efile the state of Alabama requires my drivers license for identification. Everything is finished, just cannot submit it. I created a diagnostic copy, token number is 496411.
GabiU
Level 15

Thank you! Reviewing now.

Any news on this? I'm in the same boat. Completed everything except for Driver's License number...

GOT an FAQ now with a sign-up for when it's fixed :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4584210-new-alabama-ids-with-eight-digits-are-getting-an-error-mes...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Is there any news since this FAQ was posted? Seems kind of ridiculous to think that something couldn't be fixed very quickly to enable one additional field in the license number input section. Everything done with my taxes except for actually submitting them. I've already paid, but can't do anything with it....

Updates are usually done once a week on Wed or Thurs nights....(last week they did two).

That one may be fairly straightforward (on the surface), but they won't change and compile the whole thing for that one thing.....they do a bunch at once, and many am far more important with actual calculation errors that need correcting..

They will issue an update sometime next week..exactly when is not known....not by us.

Thanks for that information, SteamTrain. I've been monitoring the FAQ and this post over the last several days, but never saw any additional updates. I just tried to e-file using my Alabama ID and I'm happy to say that it worked, although no updates have yet been provided by TurboTax.

Updates usually come out once a week.  Thursday most commonly.
(twice a week more rarely)
GabiU
Level 15

Oh my! That is not good. 

Thank you so much for the heads up. I'm going to do some research on this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies