Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

I still have not received my stimulus or Taxes yet i dont know how long they will take but i Have been wait seance April can any one help me with this??? 

WednesdayIro
Returning Member

Hello everyone,

I really messed up. Apparently I'm claimed as a dependent, but I filed as an independent. I also got the stimulus check, which I don't plan on using after finding out I was claimed already. What is the proper way to go about fixing this?

@WednesdayIro wrote:

Hello everyone,

I really messed up. Apparently I'm claimed as a dependent, but I filed as an independent. I also got the stimulus check, which I don't plan on using after finding out I was claimed already. What is the proper way to go about fixing this?

Go to this IRS website for information on how to return the stimulus check you received - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#more

Anyone know the number to get a hold of a live agent n IRS?  I dialed the 1800 but no clue what options to choose.

@matilde40 wrote:

Anyone know the number to get a hold of a live agent n IRS?  I dialed the 1800 but no clue what options to choose.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

I filed my taxes electronically, as independent, in May 2019. My parents claimed me as dependent in 2018; they have not filed for returns yet. Will I receive a stimulus check?

I tried looking for the answer to this specific question but couldn't find it. I checked the EIP tool but it says that my payment status is unavailable. Am I to expect a payment sometime this year or am I SOL? 

The IRS can look at your 2018 or 2019 return to issue a stimulus check.  If they do not have a 2018 return then you may be waiting for them to finish processing 2019 before they will be able to use it to issue your stimulus check.

TurboTax has no control over your stimulus check, nor can TT track it for you or tell you when the IRS will issue it. Refer to the sites linked below:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#nonfilertool

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks! I understand that; though I'm asking that since I've submitted my 2019 taxes will the IRS look at that, notice I'm independent now, and process my stimulus that way?

I have a feeling they initially looked at my 2018, noticed I was dependent then, and disavowed my ability to receive one. 

I'm really just asking if submitting my 2019 taxes changed anything. 

skobies

why does'nt turbo tax allow you to put in bank info  even though you dont have a refund

xantonoch

So this is partly in response to a question that I posted earlier, but never seemed to get a good response for, and partly for those who may have this question in the future.

My question (being paraphrased here) was "would I still qualify for the stimulus if I marked myself as being claimable on another persons return, but theirs said I don't qualify, would I have to amend my tax return?"

After ~finally~ getting through to a tax agent at the IRS, I asked them this question.
They stated that since I marked my tax return as being claimable, I am disqualified from getting the stimulus.

Amending my return would not change my qualification status as it has already been reviewed, so a result the agent stated that I could / would get it on my 2020 tax return.

With the way it sounds like there may be a second round of stimulus checks, keep in mind that the previous qualification status will most likely apply to the next one as well. (if it becomes reality)

opsidiana

Hopefully someone can answer this...

I had a baby in November 2019. My stimulus payment was calculated based on my 2018 return. Will my stimulus be recalculated/adjusted/paid out now that my 2019 has been filed to include that additional "new" dependent?

Thanks in advance.

@opsidiana It is very unlikely that your stimulus will be recalculated for this year, but you will be able to get the $500 for your child when you file your 2020 return next year.   There are actually a number of people whose stimulus checks did not include the $500 per child for every child, etc. but that will be reconciled with 2020 returns.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Hello - I had a baby in July 2020. Would I be eligible for the new stimulus payment for 1 child?

@MaxAndRomeo You should be--assuming you can claim your own child as a dependent on your 2020 tax return and the child has a Social Security number.

The stimulus money people received in 2020 was based on 2018 or 2019 tax returns so could not include money for children born in 2020.  But the stimulus is an advance on a credit you can get on your 2020 return.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check this year, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

Returning Member

I had coronavirus then got diagnosed with cancer and still have can't work and struggling with my bills every month have SSD but not enough

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies