Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

[Message Deleted]

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

This thread is long with a couple of issues stated.  What specifically seems to be happening?  Have you e-filed your Federal return?  if so, did you get any notices about forms not ready or updates needed for your NY return?  If it is an update issue you might try this link to clear it.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mhb20

I'm having a similar issue: NJ Resident with NY income.  Over the past 5 years or so, I have used TurboTax to efile Federal, NJ and NY tax returns.  This year TurboTax says the NYS tax return cannot be efiled due to some situation with my return.  It instructs me to review the forms but nowhere do I notice a strange situation or anything different from last year.

Confirming that this is still an issue. Specifically, the issue presented on Page 1: 

"When trying to file: E-File is not available because your tax return includes a tax situation that can't be e-filed. Revisit the Review section to see more details.
There is no further explanation of what that tax situation may be. Review offers nothing, it reviews and states return looks great and ready to file."

I ran into this same problem today, spent over an HOUR on the phone with a customer service rep, and he was still unable to fix the problem. And now since I can't e-file my federal return, I can't e-file my New York return either. This is a Turbotax software issue, not user error. Not even your staff can figure it out.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

@msp279

In your situation, print and mail the returns. Include a copy of the Federal return with your New York return.

New York wants returns e-filed, but when the federal must be mailed, the New Your return may be mailed as well. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can't print it and send it. New York requires that electronically completed returns are e-filed. So I would have to go to New York's state website, print out their blank form, and fill that out by hand. I'm just going to use another product. Turbotax clearly isn't working for me.

@msp279 wrote:

I can't print it and send it. New York requires that electronically completed returns are e-filed. So I would have to go to New York's state website, print out their blank form, and fill that out by hand. I'm just going to use another product. Turbotax clearly isn't working for me.

New York does NOT require a state tax return to be e-filed if the software being used does not support e-filing.  Additionally the mandate is for tax return preparers.  It is NOT for self-prepared tax returns which is what returns completed using TurboTax are, self-prepared.

New York website - https://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/efile/mandate_participants.htm

Regardless, Turbotax thinks that's true, or at least that's the reason it's giving me, so it won't let me e-file. I'm no longer using Turbotax. 

@msp279 wrote:

Regardless, Turbotax thinks that's true, or at least that's the reason it's giving me, so it won't let me e-file. I'm no longer using Turbotax. 

Then why don't you just print the tax return, sign and mail it to the state?

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Then why don't you just print the tax return, sign and mail it to the state?

Because the problem is on TT's end, so I'm not going to use it any further - especially not to do something less convenient like printing and mailing (much less go to the post office during a pandemic in the region with the highest number of cases in the country) - when I could just use another company's tax software that will actually let me e-file from home.

Also, the mandate says: "You’re a tax return preparer if you prepare any New York State return or claim for refund for compensation", which seems to apply to me. I can't find anything referencing self-prepared tax returns, and a link below leads to a page that states: "Tax documents that must be e-filed: Personal income tax and partnerships: all returns, extensions, and estimated tax payments", which also seems to apply to me. If you can point me to anywhere on the NYS tax department's site that says otherwise, fine, but if not I'm going with the language on that page. 

Totally agree - TT has made an absolute mess of this. Zero support yet you charge to file for each state?? Dumping this program as they have had more than ample time to address and stuck their head in the sand. The problem is clearly pervasive.

I have been having the same exact problem since last week.  My husband and I live in New Jersey, and he works in New York, so it gives us the option to e-file our Federal Return and our New Jersey Return but not our New York return.  I spoke to someone at Turbo Tax on the phone for over 30 minutes and she also could not figure out what the problem is.  I have redone my federal and state taxes at least 7 times now and I do not know what to do.  I already paid, so its not like I can just switch to use another service at this point.  I read someones advice about checking for 0s on the forms, I found two, deleted them and it still did not work.  I tried deleting all the New York Forms, also did not allow me to delete all forms, and redid my return to see if that would fix the porobelms, but that did not work either.  I am at a loss, and am concerned that now New York will reject my return because Turbo Tax says I have to mail and send it.  Please help. 

@bwest15 

New York does NOT require a state tax return to be e-filed if the software being used does not support e-filing.  Additionally the mandate is for tax return preparers.  It is NOT for self-prepared tax returns which is what returns completed using TurboTax are, self-prepared.

New York website - https://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/efile/mandate_participants.htm

But Turbo Tax software does support e-filing so that does not make any sense.  It also says on the New York website that if you prepare your own taxes that means you count as a tax preparer.  I appreciate your information but it seems to be slightly off in terms of what New York will accept in terms of filing with paper. 

@bwest15 wrote:

But Turbo Tax software does support e-filing so that does not make any sense.  It also says on the New York website that if you prepare your own taxes that means you count as a tax preparer.  I appreciate your information but it seems to be slightly off in terms of what New York will accept in terms of filing with paper. 

Since the software you are using is not supporting the e-filing of the New York tax return, it can be mailed to the state.

You are not a  tax preparer based on the New York state definition of tax preparers - https://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/efile/mandate_participants.htm#preparer

Definitions

Tax return preparer—You’re a tax return preparer if you:

• prepare any New York State return or claim for refund for compensation; or
  • receive compensation for returns or claims for refund prepared by people that you employ or engage.

The mandate applies to tax return preparers located within and outside New York State.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies