Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

You are commenting on an older thread that may have outdated information.  

Please post your specific situation here and we will be happy to help.  Also, we will need to know which version of TurboTax you are using and which state you are trying to e-file. 

@Colleen61 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Colleen61
Returning Member

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

Hi

Yes I already e-filed the federal return and it was accepted.  I still had to do the NYS return so when I go to e-file the NYS return, it says I need to file my federal return first. I am using the 2022 Intuit Turbotax

Colleen61
Returning Member

I did go into the federal return to check on the some of the entries for the NYS return, so I don't know if that is why Turbotax thinks I haven't filed it?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

In going back into the federal return you may have created an amended federal return.  If that is the case then you need to delete the federal amended return in order to file the NY return.

@Colleen61 

Colleen61
Returning Member

I deleted all returns but one.  I can't see where it is amended?  But it still won't let me just file the NYS tax return. What happens if I file another Fed return after they have said they have said it was accepted?

Colleen61
Returning Member

I wonder if I hit e-file it will know that the federal return has already been approved, and will only file the NYS return?

Colleen61
Returning Member

I did have to go back into the w-2 information for the NYS tax return because there was a mistake in the information relating to NYS taxes.  It didn't affect the federal return at all, but I am wonder if that is why?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You can follow the steps below to get you back into the return to now finish your state return.

TurboTax Online

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. On the Your 2022 federal return was accepted! page, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2022
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return)
    • Note: If you've already started your state return, you can select Continue your return in the state tax return box
  4. Select State from the left menu
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the instructions

TurboTax CD/Download software

Colleen61
Returning Member

I don't have TurboTax on-line I have Turbo Tax desktop.  You can check filing status and it shows Accepted, but that is it.  

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You should have an email and/or text confirming whether your federal return has been accepted. Now you can file your state return as an e-file by using the instructions in the link provided by @Cynthiad66 or posted below for y our convenience.

TurboTax CD/Download software

With your return open, select the State Taxes tab near the top. This will take you to the state section and you can proceed from there.

@Colleen61 

Colleen61
Returning Member

Yes I received an email stating my federal e-file return it was accepted, but turbotax is not acknowledging it and wants me to e-file my federal return, before I file my state return.

Clicking on the TurboTaxCD/Download software doesn't answer my question on how to fix this.

Colleen61
Returning Member

I have the electronic certification post mark form with the rest of my Federal forms, but it will not let me file my state form electronically.  It is NYS so I have to e-file.  My turbotax is desktop and the desktop/cd link doesn't tell me anything on how to file the return when turbotax will not recognize the federal return has already been filed and accepted.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It would be best to follow the instructions here to give us a call, so we can ensure this is taken care of. @Colleen61 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies