Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Maxwell5

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

10+ years of Turbotax, and any past issue was small enough to forget, but this takes the cake. Time to move on next year.
awebb9

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

Having the same issue

This is a 3 year old post.   

A State return CANNOT be e-filed unless the Federal return has been e-filed and accepted.

The state return must be paper filed.   NY has not problem with that if the software does not permit e-filing.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The issue is that it is telling you that your taxes paid have to go on your worksheet instead of where it belongs on the tax return  

It's not only non-residents.  Residents are having the same issue.

Same here i never had a problem with them but this is over

the top 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The original post was from May 2019, so they could have e-filed 2 months prior. Your post of 02-01-2020, not possible. 

But we are here to help. If you mailed your Federal tax return in, you will need to also mail the NY return in. 

NY has exceptions to the rule, one of which is if you cannot email through your software program. 

Please print the NY return and mail it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Collisa79

ok so your saying that its not possilbe for turbo tax to not allow a person to efile thier state return??  Im asking becaseu my federal return went through and but the state return did not.  Soooo im confused as to what the issue might be anld i spoke with a rep today over the phone who couldnt figure it out  and then she told me to try again in a few days or  to delete an start over or to print it and mail it in. never in all the 6 yrs ive used turbo tax have i ever not been allowed to efile mystate return. if i had known this was going to happen i would have used H and R block my girl friend had no issues using them and she filed her state and federal both for NYS so im confused as to how you can say its not possible.. whats not possible?? please explain yourself. 

Collisa79

Also when i pull up the printed version of my state return it says : New York State law requires income tax returns prepared using software to be e-filed. Because this New York
State tax return was prepared using software, you MUST file it electronically.

so please explain to me why i would have to paperfile again im confused

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Here is a summary of the New York state Efile Requirement from the New York State mandate:  New York State Efile Mandate

You're required to electronically file your return if you meet all three of the following conditions:

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return; and
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your return; and
  • you have broadband Internet access.

At this time, TurboTax does not support the electronic filing of your return, so you can go ahead and paper file.  

Here is a Help Article with some more details on printing and mailing your tax return:  Printing and Mailing my Tax Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Also note that the FCC defines " broadband Internet " as 25 MB/Sec or higher.   Many peoples internet speed is under 10MB/Sec or less so they would not meet the e-file requirement.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I have been attempting to email an amendment on last years NY taxes (2018).

The program will not let me efile. There is a glitch in the programming. On the Consent to Disclosure page> The Today's Date box is the issue. When you enter the date, the box becomes highlighted in red, and a red error message appears below stating, "Date entered must be on or before 12/01/2019". When you change the date to a date on or before 12/01/2019, the box is again highlighted in red, and the message changes to: "Date entered must be on or after today".

This is at the end of the 2018, Amend page series, so I am in the right place, and all is filled out.

To compound the issue - The Federal amendment prints fine for mailing. The NY state amended return, however, will not efile as stated above, and also will not print. The program goes into a loop if you try to print to mail in the NY amended return, and it simply will not give you the option to print. 

I have tried three browser software versions - both on MAC and PC.

@maineduane wrote:

I have been attempting to email an amendment on last years NY taxes (2018).

The program will not let me efile. There is a glitch in the programming. On the Consent to Disclosure page> The Today's Date box is the issue. When you enter the date, the box becomes highlighted in red, and a red error message appears below stating, "Date entered must be on or before 12/01/2019". When you change the date to a date on or before 12/01/2019, the box is again highlighted in red, and the message changes to: "Date entered must be on or after today".

This is at the end of the 2018, Amend page series, so I am in the right place, and all is filled out.

To compound the issue - The Federal amendment prints fine for mailing. The NY state amended return, however, will not efile as stated above, and also will not print. The program goes into a loop if you try to print to mail in the NY amended return, and it simply will not give you the option to print. 

I have tried three browser software versions - both on MAC and PC.

Amended returns can NEVER be e-filed - only printed and mailed.

What Mac OS are you on?    I have seen some reports that the OSX 10.15.3 update might have broken something.

Try restarting the Mac in the "safe mode" and see if you can print.  (hold shift key down while restarting).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Please post the results.

I am having the same issue as the previous posts, and the info below came directly from the NYS Dept of Taxation on accepted e-file software: 

TurboTax Desktop (ET)

Official company name

Intuit, Inc.

Product name

TurboTax

Tax years supported
Estimated tax year supported

Please provide a more thorough explanation as to why I cannot e-file my NY return as a part-time resident.  I have trusted this company for years, so I am hopeful this can be resolved efficiently. 

@determined81 wrote:

I am having the same issue as the previous posts, and the info below came directly from the NYS Dept of Taxation on accepted e-file software: 

This is an old and long thread.  Exactly what is the "same" issue that you are having?   What are you trying to file and why do you think you cannot e-file it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies