Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not required to file Form 2210 but keep getting error msg to complete lines on Form 2210A1 using annualized method. How do I eliminate error msgs w/o completing info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Not required to file Form 2210 but keep getting error msg to complete lines on Form 2210A1 using annualized method. How do I eliminate error msgs w/o completing info?

Desktop Software;

1) Start thru your error check again.

2) When the first Form 2210AI error shows up, put a "1" in the box, then step to the next error

3) Now switch to Forms Mode.

4)  Delete the form 2210AI then return to the Step-by-Step

5) it should be cleared of that form 2210AI now.  

6) Run the error check again.  You might have other errors that need to be dealt with, but the 2210AI errors shouldn't show up again. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

22 Replies

If your Form 2210AI showed up unexpectedly, with maybe 3-to-12 errors during your Review & Error Check....I can help you get rid of it.

But I need to know whether you are using the Desktop/download version of TurboTax, or the Online Browser-based software.  The procedure is different for each one.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I installed TT using the CD Rom disk I got at Costco. Thank you.
basalm

i am using online. I entered 180 in a spot that should have had 0
4sharps4

I am having the same issue as the original post using a deskktop version of the software.  Anyone found a solution yet?

@4sharps4

Go ahead into the error check again, and as soon as the first form 2210AI error shows, switch to Forms Mode, and delete that form 2210AI.  That should solve the problem.

Go back to the interview and run thru the error check again for other errors.

IF there is a penalty that shows up there, then you would need the form 2210AI, (or 2210) to reduce or eliminate that penalty....but I wouldn't bother unless the penalty is more than $50
...(.it's painfully tedious to do a 2210AI if you've never done one before, and if you have, you'll avoid it for minor penalties)

"delete that form 2210AI." How does one do that? I don't see a delete option.

Go into the 'Forms' item on the top menubar, (The application menu, which recedes out of screen on many laptops), and select 'Remove form'.

Desktop Software;

1) Start thru your error check again.

2) When the first Form 2210AI error shows up, put a "1" in the box, then step to the next error

3) Now switch to Forms Mode.

4)  Delete the form 2210AI then return to the Step-by-Step

5) it should be cleared of that form 2210AI now.  

6) Run the error check again.  You might have other errors that need to be dealt with, but the 2210AI errors shouldn't show up again. 

Thank you. I'll give it a try.
flyer99

If 2210 is not required at all, based on the information in Part II, should that form also be deleted? The problem appears to be that TurboTax inserted an X in Block C that says Income varied throughout the year - which then triggers the creation of the unpopulated 2210AI. If an inaccurate 2210 is left in the return (Block C), and that inaccurate 2210 says you're supposed to have a 2210AI, but you delete the 2210AI while leaving the 2210 (w/ X in Block C) in the return, is that a problem?

....that's beyond me...I'm only dealing with situations where the 2210AI is the only thing showing up unexpectedly during the error check..

In a test where I had a 2201 and a 2210AI, deleting the  2210AI first, made the 2210 disappear too.
Deleting thee 2210 first, and the 2210 auto-generated again.
(....and a penalty showed up on line 79 of the Form 1040 (or line 51 of a 1040A), because I forced a $2300 balance due)

I managed to get the error messages to go away and I didn't enter any fictitious  numbers or force anything. How, I can't tell you as I was trying multiple ways to get rid of the forms. Obviously this is a TT bug and something they should fix. Users who purchase TT shouldn't have to scramble to get rid of bogus error messages!
flyer99

I eventually deleted both Forms 2210 and 2210AI. I also carefully reviewed the underpayment penalty criteria and re-accomplished that section of the interview. The tax record now shows no 2210/2210AI, and no underpayment penalties. It appears this is the correct outcome.

For verification, you can also open the 2210 from the Forms view, and it will show the autopopulated data fields. It "appears" correct, in that 2210 Block 7 is less than 1000 (on mine it's negative); so the process stops (because there's no 'underpayment'). There are also no anomalous entries in Part II Reasons for Filing.

A "correct" 2210 may then exist in the software, but since it says to not file it, it doesn't show up in the current tax record (as seen when viewing "Forms in My Return"). At least I think that's what I've got now.

I suspect it may be a software bug with an arithmetic error somewhere in the 2210 process. Or it may also somehow be related to including non-taxable income in the Sales Tax portion. In a first draft, I didn't do that and got no errors. In the second, more detailed effort I did include the non-taxable income and did get the errors. This is anecdotal, and I'm not going to trial-and-error to see why the 2210/2210AI got messed up in the first place.

I had no tax liability in 2016 due to Form 8801 Altmin tax carry-forwards that offset the 2016 tax liability. I continue to have Altmn tax carry-forwards into 2017 and beyond. There is no reason TT should have suggested preparing Form 2210 as tax estimates were not required in 2017, no taxes are due for 2017, and estimates won't be required in 2018. I hope TT will fix the problem in the 2018 TT software.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies