Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not able to E-file State (Minnesota)

Using Windows Turbo Tax Home and Business 2023

The problem is that TurboTax does not/will not recognize or accept the payment I have on file when I go to pay the state E-file fee. I have changed payment methods between credit card and bank account. I have tried different credit cards. A screen always pops up that says "Hmmm.... we hit a snag, please try again later."

I have spent over 4 hours on the phone with tech support (3 different agents, 2 different days) trying to resolve this. None of them were able to come up with a solution. In the toolbar at the top of the TT screen under Help>pay by phone>State E-file, I have tried also. I was charged $20 and the agent was supposed to give me a code to enter so that I could progress to e-file the state tax. She said there is a problem with their system where there wasn't even a spot for her to enter my file serial number, nor any way to generate the State E-file Confirmation code required to progress to filing.

Just some of the attempted solutions - Cookies and browser data has been completely wiped out. TurboTax has been uninstalled, downloaded, and reinstalled. I've done the screen sharing so the agent can see exactly what is happening. As mentioned, I have tried multiple different forms of payment. Closed and opened the program multiple times. Manually checking for software updates.  Absolutely nothing has worked.

So far I have completed taxes for 3 different people. Two of them only had W-2 forms and the 3rd only had a Schedule B in addition to W-2. No other schedules. This has been going on since February 28th through today March 6th. The state has been for Minnesota, not sure if other states are being affected by this e-file issue.

Is this just a ploy by Intuit to force people to pay the extra $40 to have the state e-file fee by deducting it from their refund?

TurboTax - If you are reading this - PLEASE fix this problem! Or, at the very least, refund me each $40 fee for having this deducted from the refund!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

I’m having a similar issue trying to pay for California e-filing using the Windows Premier version of the software. After clicking on “pay with credit card” the same “slight snag” message that you mentioned comes up. Never even have the chance to enter credit card information into the s/w. I too was on phone for hours with support and was led through the same actions as you - to no avail. I hope someone that knows what’s going on reads this. There’s over a month before the filing deadline, so it seems like enough time for Intuit to address this issue (and there’s a financial incentive to fix it too). If it comes down to it, I can print and mail the return but I really don’t want to do that!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Try disabling your main internet browsers pop up blocker before getting to the payment page.

The billing address on your credit card and the mailing address on your tax return have to match or you will get an error for paying with a credit card.

If they are not the same then change your mailing address to your billing address.  Click on My Info on the left side of the screen.  Edit you mailing address and Continue.  Go back to the File section to make your payment.

After the payment has been approved, go back to My Info and change the address back to the original.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm using TurboTax Premier for desktop. Turning off pop-up blockers did not work. Billing and mailing addresses are the same (shouldn't matter anyway since I haven't gotten to the point of being able to enter my credit card data anyway!). Seems to me this "snag" is a little bit more than "slight"!!! Unbelievable that Intuit doesn't jump all over this problem that is preventing ME from paying THEM.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

denstef

I am having the same problem with CA e-file. In fact I cannot make the payment for state e-file, as I cannot go forward from entering my billing address. A white window asking me to select from 2 formats of the billing address pops -up and I cannot go forward - as I do not see any button to exit this window. I went in a circle for many times. I called TurboTax and spent more than 2 hours with 2 "unprofessional" agents  (they did know anything about TurboTax software). So I am stuck now and I need to e-file my returs immediately. I paid for TurboTax Deluxe / downloaded the software from Amazon. Please solve the issue immediately in order to e-file our CA state return.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

See if the fixes outlined in the TurboTax Help article State install/e-file update loop: State not installed after installation or TurboTax needs to update... will remedy your state e-file issue.

@denstef 

shhub

I am having the same issue for Minnesota. two weeks ago I filed with Missouri for my daughter and had no issue. Now filing mine in Minnesota I get the same "oops we hit a snag" error and won't get to a payment screen. This needs to be fixed. I was able to file all the federal taxes. just can not do state.

shhub

These instructions did nothing to fix this problem. The payment screen does not load so this is nothing to do with the state filing. but turbo tax payment for the $25. usually, this screen takes you out to turbo tax site to make the payment then when payment received you can proceed to the desktop app and finish filing to the state. clearly there is a connectivity issue from turbo tax desktop to the turbo tax payment page.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you still experience the issue, please call Customer Service and tell them you have a "block payment issues, possibly due to billing or an invalid license" and the agent should be able to help you. Here is how you reach customer service:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

Here's what worked for me:

From the Help menu, click on "Pay by Phone" and then "State eFile." Follow the instructions to pay over the phone. The desktop software then skips past the state eFile errors and filing can be completed.

Good luck!

jeffangry

I'm having the same problem in Montana.  This sounds like the most reasonable response I've seen.  Intuit help line has been frustratingly useless as can be seen by the other messages in this thread.  I took your advice and called the number.  I'm now on hold with a CR that I can understand but has never heard of state e-filing payments by phone...I'll post the outcome.  Thanks for giving me hope!

jeffangry

Well after waiting on hold for 25 minutes I was informed my product appears to be fraudulent even though my federal tax was accepted by both Inuit and the IRS...the solution proposed was to re-purchase Turbo Tax from them so I could e-file my MT tax return since all my CR (and his cohorts) knew how to do was accept a purchase for product over the phone. When I called the help line I was told by the bot that I would need to have the serial number for the state e-filing ready for the CR (which I did). He had no idea what I was talking about...looks like a hard copy and a stamp for me this year.  Probably my last year with Turbo Tax.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If your federal return was filed and accepted, you should be able to efile your state return as well. 

Please see this link to guide you on how to electronically file your state return after efiling your federal return.

@jeffangry 

jeffangry

Hello:  Thank you for taking the time to post a link but I tried that multiple times along with the other various attempts to break this loose.  If you read the entirety of my posts you can see it was a Turbo Tax issue.  I spent over an hour on the phone with several Customer Reps that kept me on hold while they ran it up the flagpole.  Nothing worked so they said it was bootleg software.  **sigh**  Hardcopy and postage and it gets mailed tomorrow.  Saves me $25 per return (I do do three) and costs Intuit $75 in fees.

Have a wonderful evening!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies