Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2018 system requirements

Just was notified that my TurboTax 2018 for Mac software will arrive in about 3 weeks. However, I can't find if there has been a change to the system requirements for my mid-2011 iMac. If 2018 requires Mac OS 10.14 Mojave, then I'm SOL as I can't run Mojave on my iMac.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For tax year 2018 the Mac minimum system requirement is Mac OS X v10.12 or later (64-bit required)

View solution in original post

10 Replies

For tax year 2018 the Mac minimum system requirement is Mac OS X v10.12 or later (64-bit required)

In TT 2017, if you were running 10.11 or less, you got a warning screen.  
You appear to be running 10.11 now, so you will at least need to upgrade to 10.12.  There is a manual way to do this if the App Store installer wants to bump you to 10.13 or higher and you don't want to do this.

A mid-2011 iMac should be able to handle up to 10.13 at least, my 2010 MacBook Pro can.

....however...backward compatibility with the 2014-thu-2016 desktop software is far better with 10.12

There's a fix file for 10.13 and 2014 & 2015 software...but 2016 MAC software has a major issue with 10.13 in the final phases of the preparation....though there is a workaround.  (not sure how well it works with amended tax files)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks, everyone. I was afraid it would be Mojave and I'd have to spend a couple of thousand on a new computer! I have the Install Sierra (10.12) application (and the one for High Sierra also) so it looks like I'll need to get Sierra installed.
Lyrinda
Returning Member

What can I do if I have a mid-2010 Mac?  Can I run the 2018 tax year TurboTax now on OS 10.11.6 (my current OS)?  Alternatively, can I upgrade my machine to the 10.12 OS?
Lyrinda
Returning Member

What can I do if I have a mid-2010 Mac?  Can I run the 2018 tax year TurboTax now on OS 10.11.6 (my current OS)?  Alternatively, can I upgrade my machine to the 10.12 OS?  The notice that I receive from TT says: You can continue to use TurboTax on your Mac for this year [which is in 2019 for the 2018 tax year]..... but then it says "you'll need to update the operating system that's currently on your Mac for TurboTax 2018."  Which is it?  Can I use it this year or not?  Can I upgrade my mid-2010 Mac's OS to 10.12?  Can I use TurboTax at all?

No, TurboTax 2018 requires Mac OS 10.12.0 as a minimum. However, you CAN install MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) on your mid-2010 iMac.

If your Mac is capable of upgrading the OS, it will be an option in the Mac App store, installation is free.  The App store may only offer you High Sierra or Mojave, if your Mac is capable.  (It will offer you the highest version you can handle, and may not offer intermediate versions.)  If you want to install a lower version than the App store is offering, but still an upgrade, there are instructions online to do that manually.

Mid-2010 should probably take at least High Sierra if not Mojave.

Opus, Mojave's minimum hardware is mid-2012 or newer, so Lyrinda can only go to High Sierra.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies