turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Turbo Tax Charge for Direct Deposit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

No, the charge with the Online version is for the Federal and State programs (e-file is free). If you have your TurboTax fees deducted from your Federal refund, there is an additional charge of $39.99 for that service.

I think turbotax sent my tax retuurn to irs without my checking account information

Intuit says my valu is empty what does that mean

clarkmelissa
Returning Member

Yes, I was charged $118.25 for using direct deposit. I had zero taxable income due to the pandemic and used the "free" version. They do not tell you about all the hidden fees until you reach the end of the return using their "free" version that charges $118.25 for using direct deposit only. They wanted more money to use the option to take the fees out of the return before sending it to my bank but I just paid it immediately so they would not charge me more. The fees should be clearly listed, they are not. They also force upgrades by adding them and making it nearly impossible to remove unwanted extras with higher fees. I had to delete the entire return and start over to remove the extra fess (I did not sign up for) for services I did not need. Done with being ripped off by Intuit.

clarkmelissa
Returning Member

Yes they do charge for direct deposit now. I was charged $118.25 for using direct deposit with their "free" e-file. I had zero taxable income and paid my fee (did not take it out of my return). Highway robbery.

@clarkmelissa wrote:

Yes they do charge for direct deposit now. I was charged $118.25 for using direct deposit with their "free" e-file. I had zero taxable income and paid my fee (did not take it out of my return). Highway robbery.

There is not a charge for direct deposit of a tax refund.

If you paid TurboTax account fees then you were not using the Free online edition.  You were using the Deluxe online edition or higher.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for checking your fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

OR -

To access your  online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on View order details

@clarkmelissa You misunderstood.   There is never a fee to get a direct deposit of a tax refund.   If you used a paid version of the tax software and then made the choice to have the fees deducted from your federal refund, the $40 refund fee was charged so that the third party bank would receive your refund, extract the fees and send you the rest.   if you use a paid version of the software and pay upfront, you can have your refund direct deposited and pay only the fee for using the software.  There is no direct deposit fee at all.

You may have become confused and upgraded without realizing it, although the screens do alert you that you are upgrading.   Only the most simple returns can be prepared using the Free Edition.   If the data you enter requires the use of any extra schedules or forms, then it upgrades you to a paid version.

There is another free version of the software that can be used if you are not able to use the Free Edition.  You can access it by going to the site for Free File:

If you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $39,000 or less, or $72,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

Note:  If you do not qualify to use Free File then you will have to upgrade to Deluxe or higher in the paid versions of the software.   

Online Deluxe $40  State software $40

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies