turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CEB

Employer left Box 12 - W blank, so I counted the HSA contributions as my contributions. Now Employer gave amended W-2 with Box 12 W and I owe extra taxes. Why??

In the amendment, I added Box 12 -W, and deleted the figure I had added under my own contributions (I put it there because there was nothing in Box 12 on my original W-2). Why do I now owe taxes on my contribution amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Employer left Box 12 - W blank, so I counted the HSA contributions as my contributions. Now Employer gave amended W-2 with Box 12 W and I owe extra taxes. Why??

You now owe tax because you got a tax break by originally claiming the HSA contributions were yours.  Since they were from the employer, they are already tax-free.  So you are repaying the amount of the HSA deduction you should not have gotten in your original return.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
CEB

I also ended up with the standard deduction on the original filing.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Did you give yourself a deduction for HSA contributions when you filed originally? Please look at your original 1040,line 25.
CEB

Yes, it is showing as a deduction. So, because it was already deducted from taxable income on the original w-2 AND it gave me the deduction when I entered contributions in the wrong spot, did I get a double benefit and now I'm just returning the double benefit?

correct.
CEB

Bummer.
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Did you remove the contribution you inputted? If you only revised the W2 to enter the W, you are currently receiving an excess contribution penalty. When you remove the contribution you originally entered, the tax due may be even more.
CEB

Yes, and Yes. I owed taxes before I changed the original contribution I inputted. When I deleted my initial entry, the taxes went up again. Thank you for explaining why!
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No problem. Unfortunately, it seems Ws are commonly missed on original W2s and cause these headaches. Now you know if it ever happens again!

You now owe tax because you got a tax break by originally claiming the HSA contributions were yours.  Since they were from the employer, they are already tax-free.  So you are repaying the amount of the HSA deduction you should not have gotten in your original return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies