Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bakeshed

How do I send a complaint to turbotax about their online system this year?

I have been using turbo for more than a year but it failed miserably and I totally frustrated with it this year, In addition I felt as tho I had been fleeced of over $200. The software was cumbersome and inadequit even with online assistance. I was then told that I had to file by usps and not by efile as the software could resolve the issue, but this advice came after I paid your fee for services not rendered. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to us directly by phone starting at the link here.  This will direct your inquiry to the correct department.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm a student and earned less than $10000 this year and was proactive to contribute to an IRA and now I can't use the free online service because I made a great long-term decision to take some money I earned and save for the future. WTF TurboTax? Why penalize people? If I file thru you I lose the $68 refund I would have received. Thanks for sending a really bad message to young workers/savers.

@ samwolff512 wrote:

I'm a student and earned less than $10000 this year and was proactive to contribute to an IRA and now I can't use the free online service because I made a great long-term decision to take some money I earned and save for the future. WTF TurboTax? Why penalize people? If I file thru you I lose the $68 refund I would have received. Thanks for sending a really bad message to young workers/savers.

I can tell you some ways you can still file for free.

Is it the Retirement Savers Credit that's making you upgrade from Free Edition to Deluxe?  TurboTax has 2 free products.   If you haven't yet paid/filed, you can switch to the other free product without starting over, if you qualify, and you should qualify with that income level.     Here's info on the 2 free products, including how to switch to the second one (TurboTax IRS Free File Program), if desired, which can handle the Savers Credit and all the other usual forms.  It, too, is free for both Federal and state returns.

The regular Free Edition is for very simple returns and not everyone can use it.

FAQ:  Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

The other free product (TurboTax IRS Free File Program)  is fully-featured and can prepare all the usual forms and schedules, including your Retirement Savers Credit.  It is even more powerful than Deluxe, if you qualify.  For example, in addition to Schedules 1-3 it can prepare Schedule C, D, E, F, etc., and enter K-1. But one has to meet one of the qualifications to use.  See below:

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2020 AGI is $39,000 or less (if filing jointly MFJ, this figure is for the AGI of both spouses combined.)  ; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • In 2020, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $72,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

If you meet one of those qualifications and want to use it, it is at this special website

https://freefile.intuit.com/

but see these 2 FAQs first, including how to switch without starting over:

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

and

FAQ:  How do I switch to the TurboTax IRS Free File Program? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

There are also other free file options that may have different requirements at the IRS website:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

I used Turbotax for the second time this year. It worked fairly well but took longer than I expected. Adding to the time required to provide necessary information was the time I spent avoiding the many suggestions that I add MAX (and pay for it) and, at the end, that I sign up for a credit service. I paid for a tax service, not for online advertising. Suggesting once, at the beginning, that I try MAX would be okay, but repeating this endlessly is obnoxious and disrespectful.

I have not received my 2019 FEDERAL TAX REFUND, I called the IRS exactly one year after filing my taxes thru TURBO TAX and was informed my federal refund was processed and sent back to TURBO TAX so turbo tax can take out their fee. The IRS told me to contact turbo tax as it is showing my refund has been processed and TURBO TAX has my refund. I have contacted your phone # [phone number removed] many times thru this past year and have tried to reach someone thru email. I have not received any response. TURBO TAX has my federal tax refund and want my refund can someone from turbo tax reach back out to me????

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY  2019 FEDERAL TAX REFUND, I called the IRS exactly one year after filing my taxes thru TURBO TAX and was informed my federal refund was processed and sent back to TURBO TAX so turbo tax can take out their fee. The IRS told me to contact turbo tax as it is showing my refund has been processed and TURBO TAX has my refund. I have contacted your phone # [phone number removed] many times thru this past year and have tried to reach someone thru email. I have not received any response. TURBO TAX has my federal tax refund and want my refund can someone from turbo tax reach back out to me????

@ tguerrero20 wrote:

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY  2019 FEDERAL TAX REFUND, I called the IRS exactly one year after filing my taxes thru TURBO TAX and was informed my federal refund was processed and sent back to TURBO TAX so turbo tax can take out their fee. The IRS told me to contact turbo tax as it is showing my refund has been processed and TURBO TAX has my refund. I have contacted your phone # [phone number removed] many times thru this past year and have tried to reach someone thru email. I have not received any response. TURBO TAX has my federal tax refund and want my refund can someone from turbo tax reach back out to me????

The company that handles a Federal tax refund when TurboTax fees are paid out of the Federal refund is SBTPG (Santa Barbara Tax Products Group.)   Here's their customer service number:

https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information

If necessary, try this contact form to reach TurboTax Customer Support.  If you continue to have no luck reaching them, I've also provided info below how to reach Intuit Corporate.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

If you end up needing to contact the Intuit Corporate office, you can go to the page below. Just below the page's large title, you'll see a screen-wide blue banner that prominently says:

"Do you have a question, concern, or feedback about an Intuit product or service?"

There is a "Send an email" link with an arrow.  It goes to a designated person in the office of the President (of Intuit), and they supposedly will assign it to the right team for review.

NOTE:  Do NOT send any sensitive personal data since that is regular email--not secure email.

https://www.intuit.com/company/executives/

flash399

I have used TT for 10 years and this was the worst. Because of ONE form I had to upgrade to Premier. For that benefit, I paid four times what I paid last year, got no support and no opportunity for the system to autofill my data as it did in the past;. SO for an extra $100, I had to do all the entry. It kept flagging me with errors that were not clear. I had to fudge some numbers just to get the system to accept it. This will be the last time I use TT

I have submitted this request two times in September under a case number and then a e-mail was received  will respond within 5-7 business days. Also, under another case number. The reps keep having me to resubmit it. I’m not getting any information back from you nor can your customer service help me. So, for several years I have used Turbo Tax Federal and State and have never paid for Federal and have only paid for State, in Indiana. Once I moved to Florida, I only filed my Federal because we don’t have State taxes. I’ve filed 2018, 2019 and 2020 in Florida and it has charged me to file my Federal each time $40-$60. I am requesting my $60 back from 05/17/2021 filing fee for 2020. I only have an apartment and no children so I’m only filing myself not a long form. When filing it doesn’t allow me to use the free one it pushes me over to file in the Deluxe. It has never done that while filing for years in Indiana. Nothing has changed but the State that I’m filing in and the job, I file the same way. I didn’t ask for Deluxe it made me go to it in order to move forward. That isn’t right. I shouldn’t be ignored, and no one responds to my complaint and request. This is the 3rd time I’m submitting a request today. I was told that I would receive an e-mail that will give me a decision, but I haven’t. This is what shows up when I track the 2nd request. Your customer service keeps telling me to resubmit it because they can’t see anything. My e-mail says that a decision will be communicated back to me within 5-7 business days. That was over 11 days ago. Now today I call and the REP said her manager said no refund when filing on line. WHY DID THE OTHER REPS SEND ME THE LINK AND TELL ME TO ASK FOR THE REFUND. I'M GETTING THE RUN AROUND. YOU JUST LOST A CUSTOMER I WILL NEVER FILE AGAIN.

Your Refund status is Closed.

@Michelle Young No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue so you have to deal with customer support for that. 

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

But it sounds like you are confused about the pricing and fees for using TurboTax.   When you use online TurboTax you pay for the federal and the state returns you file unless you are able to use the Free Edition. Federal and state are priced separately.  The only time it would be "free" would be if you were able to use the Free Edition for a very simple return.   With the Free Edition you can file very simple federal AND state returns.

The last tax year there was a 1040EZ or 1040A was tax year 2017.   Since tax year 2018, everyone uses a Form 1040, which perhaps you think of as a "long" form---but that is the form everyone uses now--and that we have all been using since 2018 returns.

The information that you can enter in Free Edition is pretty limited now.  Thanks to the new tax laws that began for 2018 returns, there are no more simple Form 1040EZ or 1040A's.  Everything goes on a Form 1040 that has three extra "schedules" with it, and if you need any of those schedules, you are not able to use the Free Edition.  Using the standard deduction instead of itemizing does NOT mean you will not need any of those schedules.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511011-what-happened-to-the-1040a-and-1040ez  

If you started in the Free Edition and entered any data that required any of those three schedules, you have to upgrade to a paid version.   The Free Edition cannot be used for self-employment income, investment income, rental income or a student loan interest deduction,

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040 

If you used Deluxe (or higher) to file a 2020 tax return, then you do pay  a fee to use it.   You did not have to pay a fee for a state return since you are now in a state that has no state income tax.  Please see the link below that shows the way the online software is priced:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/

Note that it tells you the price for a federal return using Deluxe is $60, and that state is additional.

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

Next year when you prepare a 2021 return, you might want to try using the IRS site for the software available for free.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Michelle Young If you have NOT already e-filed then it might not be too late for you to switch to a different software called the Freedom Edition, which would allow you to file 2020 for free.   (if you have already e-filed it is too late)

If you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $39,000 or less, or $72,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Bjfrei11

Very frustrated!  I have made three calls attempting to print off from a PDF saved file my tax returns.  I was forced to get a new computer , I have installed the old programs and still are unable to opens files.  

Not going to recommend your product in the future!

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Bjfrei11 Please use the following Help Article to troubleshoot printing issues you're having: Troubleshoot printing issues

If you need additional help, please reply back with more detail about any error messages you're receiving, or any other information you can provide that will help us further assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IT IS TOTATLY UNACCEPTABLE THAT FORM 6252 WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TILL 3/3/22. THIS WILL MAKE IMPOSSIBLE TO SUCURE PROFESSIONABLE TAX ADVISE TIMELY. WILL TT GIVE ME FREE TAX ADVISE AS TO FILE MY 6252 FORM DUE TO THIS LATENESS. I CANNOT GET A APPOINTMENT WITH MY CPA AT THIS LATE DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies