Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nina70
Returning Member

Need Assistance to Upgrade from Basic to Deluxe

I purchased the Basic TurboTax and thought it included State filings; should I have downloaded the Deluxe package?  If so, what does that package include and what do I need to do to upgrade?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turbo Tax Deluxe includes support for over 350 deductions and credits. Here is where you can determine if Turbo Tax Deluxe is right for you.  

See this  FAQ for step by step instructions on how to Upgrade to a higher version of your Turbo Tax product online.

Nina70
Returning Member

Katrina,

I will try and follow directions for the upgrade, but I have a couple more questions.

1.  When I upgrade, do I lose the $40 I paid for the Basic package and pay another $60 (not sure how much the upgrade version is)  How will that work?

2.  Does the upgraded package include being able to do taxes for 4 tax returns.  I do taxes for my daughters who are currently unemployed and I myself am retired.  I will only need to file one return on-line.

3.  Does the upgraded package include being able to file State taxes (California) on all 4 tax returns or do I have to pay additional for each State return?

Help us please.

Nina

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@Nina70

Please see below for the answers to your questions:

1. When you upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe you will not lose the $40.00 you already spent on TurboTax Basic. You will pay the difference between Basic and Deluxe. 
  2. Yes, with TurboTax CD/Download products you can prepare as many returns as you need to, however, you can only E-file 5 federal returns
  3. Yes. TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, and Home and Business come with one State download included with the price of the program. This means you can prepare and print unlimited returns for one state at no extra cost. However, there is an additional fee to e-file each state return.

For a comparison of each TurboTax CD/Download product please click here.  If you decide to upgrade to Deluxe, please see this TurboTax FAQ for instructions: How do I upgrade my TurboTax for Windows software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have similar issues. I purchased deluxe (CD) from Costco without state tax by mistake/ignorance.  After I finished my federal tax, I realized that I had to pay extra $45 for state (California) tax. Can I upgrade my version to include state tax less expensively? I shared the CD with my sister and was not sure if we each had to pay $45 for state tax.

I can also buy another Deluxe (CD) version with state tax from Amazon for approximately $55 (tax included). If I do this way, should I delete the earlier version entirely and start all over?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If you purchased from an authorized retailer, you can contact support. 

Where can I obtain authentic TurboTax programs?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/where-can-i-buy-the-turbotax-software/00/2...

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent. 
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

@lindajlchen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies