turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Name including middle initial on the past returns (up to '19_per w2) and 2020 on without the middle initial (per 1099R_Retired end of /19)_

Hello,
_Took an early retirement - end of 2019
_Up to that tax year my name, per W2, showed with middle initial (never had issues with TTax or IRS)
_As of 2020 taxYr, per 1099R (living on my savings since May of 2020) only showed first and last name (no issues filling when filed '20,'21 n '22), since my 401k was set up that way over 24+ years ago.

_Now I am trying to Rollover the 401k into a Rlvr Traditional IRA, which the IRA is set up (haven’t initiated the rollover yet) with Middle initial, but the 401k account is just 1st and last name. I am assuming once the funds are rolled over and I start taking money to live on the 1099R will be like the other years ('19 and beyond, which had no issues).
I have read and read (on this site too) that IRS does only cares if first 4 letters of last name, SSN and BD match. 
Do I need to close that Rlvr IRA account and start one with just 1st and last name then rollover the funds, or based on how in the past middle initial was on the tax form and then last three years was not and never having an issue, which sort of confirms my findings on how IRS looks at the names I am okay to just use the Rlvr IRA with middle initial appearing, hence will be on portion of the 2023 1099R, since up to now the 1099R that I will receive will have only the 1st and last name (as I mentioned above that it was from the 401k account). I hope I am clear.
Please let me know if I should add more information. I thank you for your help!

p.s. Hope this does not makes the matters worse: I never had a middle name. Over 40 years ago I applied for a job and the name was given to me (like a nickname- Micheal _Spelling is correct here). It was used at my work, bank, CCs and things like that_ Passport, Citizenship Cert., Driver's license and things more related in that manner I used what was on my SS card!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Name including middle initial on the past returns (up to '19_per w2) and 2020 on without the middle initial (per 1099R_Retired end of /19)_

No help available on this matter?

Thanks!

I guess if it is not tax season no EXPERT monitors this community/forum??

Anyone!

Thnx.

This is a response to the generic email I received today that if I was answered in regard to my question:

Hello,

NO!

It was me who added two comments in regard to No Answers, yesterday and the day before, still waiting/hoping!

Thnx

The middle initial is immaterial for everything you mentioned ... you are worrying about nothing.   The IRS looks at the first 4 letters of the last name, SS# & year of birth ... everything else can be dead wrong. 

>>Critter-3

Thank you for the information!

M_

The middle initial doesn't play a significant role in any of the matters you've mentioned. Your concerns in this regard are unnecessary. The IRS primarily focuses on the first four letters of the last name, the Social Security number, and the year of birth. Other details can be inaccurate without significant consequences.

Thank you for your confirmation.

I went ahead and processed the rollover, and it is done with both first and last name- I was able to request a name correction with the institution and although I understand and agree with your insight (and the last contributor) the request, which was processed before the rollover process assured a better transition to the Rlvr IRA.

Much appreciated. M_ 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies