Solved: My wife and I both received separate bills from the IRS for unpaid taxes from last year. The amount is the same for both of us.

My wife and I both received separate bills from the IRS for unpaid taxes from last year. The amount is the same for both of us.

I believe our taxes were calculated correctly, this seems like an attempt to get more money out of us when we've already paid what we owed.

Alumni
Alumni

The IRS, after some recent legislation, is sending identical bills (and notices) to both taxpayers on the return.  The legislation was in response to some separated taxpayers claiming they were never billed for amounts that resulted in liens years later.

Just pay one of them.

(A different issue is whether any amount is due.  In such a notice, the IRS states why the additional amount is due.  What did the notice say?)

Alumni
Alumni

Just pay one of them.

The answer above says just pay one of them.  I'm in the situation described above, and my concern is that if I just pay one, the IRS will then demand payment on the other (plus any additional accrued interest).

Ask the IRS at 1-800-829-1040

At least you got a notice.

The IRS likes to wait until penalties and interest accrue to send me levy and demand letters. It's really quite ridiculous. Two years ago, I only found out when trying to do a refi. The latest event was a letter my spouse received (penalties for late filing), but I never did get the same demand letter. How they can send a notice to lien or levy months or years after when I never received any other correspondence is truly astounding.