Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My State tax refund was less than I expected. Can you tell me why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

There can be a number of reasons why your refund was less than the amount you expected. TurboTax does not receive feedback from the IRS regarding money that was offset from your refund.  If you owed back taxes, child support, student loan debt, etc. you will receive a letter of explanation from the IRS in several weeks.  The WMR site will contain a message regarding your offset.  It is also possible that the IRS caught a mistake you made and reduced your refund. 

It is also possible that your state reduced your refund for debts owed in your state—if the state reduced your state refund you will receive a letter from the state.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107

Be aware also that your Federal refund and state refund do NOT come together.  Federal and state tax returns are processed by two completely separate entities.

Did you choose to have TT fees deducted from your Federal refund?  (Remember that if you did that, you also agreed to an extra refund processing fee of $39.99)

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I was expecting$1005.00 on my return but got $602.00 instead. What happened to the rest?

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

You may have received a lower refund than expected because your refund was applied to a past due debt. Some examples of past due debt include federal or state income taxes, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, or federal nontax debt such as student loans. Generally you will receive a notice explaining why your refund was reduced. You may want to contact your state department of revenue to determine what happened to your refund. 

Please see this TurboTax Article to get contact information for your state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sandig74

that also happened to me, and when I call the offset number, it states there are not offsets to my account. So where is my money!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did you call the federal offset program or your state's department of revenue (see the link above)?

Only the state department of revenue for your state can answer questions about the state's refund.

Why is my state refund less than expected?

Those were supposed to be taken into consideration by TT

I don't owe any of the items you mentioned 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Your state should send you a letter letting you know the changes they made to your return, if any, or any fees that they charged to your account. 

If you do not receive the letter from the state in a reasonable amount of time, I would call the state Department of Revenue and ask them about the changes they made. I would have a copy of the filed state return handy at that time. 

@Airplane007

Cestelah

My star refund was less 

Cestelah

My star refund was less than what my tax preparer told me

@Cestelah wrote:

My star refund was less than what my tax preparer told me

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund

Your state will be sending you a letter in the mail in a few weeks to explain what they changed on your state tax return to reduce your state tax refund.

leigh0903
Returning Member

my state was reduced and they said the line item for my child who lives with me full time was not recorded with a carry over the previous year; however i checked my last year return and on this years info i had the carry over; how would i appeal this? 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

In this public forum, we cannot diagnose why your refund has been reduced.  For additional information, please see this Help Article or this TurboTax blog post.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies