turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My state return seems abnormally large. I’m thinking there may have been some sort of error but I can’t figure out how to change anything. Does anyone have a suggestion ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My state return seems abnormally large. I’m thinking there may have been some sort of error but I can’t figure out how to change anything. Does anyone have a suggestion ?

Go back to the Federal section, and edit any W-2 forms you entered....or any other form types that showed state withholding on them.

IT's somewhat common for folks to fumble-finger type numbers for state income..or withholding: like 3245 instead of a correct 2345. 

Another error is hitting an adjacent comma instead of the decimal point.  So $123.45, if entered as 123comma45 that will turn into 12345.00 as soon as you leave the box or page.

Check every number in every box in each software W-2 form  to make sure it is the same as your paper W-2.  And, like I indicated, edit any other software forms that might have state withholding on them  ... 1099-R forms are most common, but could be a couple others.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

As long as you have not submitted your tax return, you can sign in and make all the changes you need.  If you already sent them, you can't make changes.  You will need to wait and see what your state does with it.  However, you can go in and print it out and see if anything looks strange.   Have you transmitted your state return yet? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’ve sent in the federal return and it has already been accepted. The state return says “ready to

mail” does this mean I somehow made a mistake and now have to manually send it through mail? Also I assume it’s too late to make changes if the federal has already been accepted?

IF the Federal has been accepted........and you made an error, it will have to be amended.  Amended tax returns should not be started by you for a few weeks yet, to let the dust settle and avoid compounding any mistake you find.

Go and print out all your forms, to see if you really made an error......then in late Feb you can start the special Amend process if you did make an error.

State says Ready to mail because either:

1)  you chose not to e-file at the same time as the Fed and selected mail-file

or

2)  All the state forms were not ready at the time you e-filed  , so the state part could not be e-filed.  (you did file long before you should have, never file before Feb, even if TTX allows it, just Don't)

or

3) The state software tracked an unusually large state withholding value...and some states "require" mail-filing if the state withholding is greater than some fixed % of the State distribution amount.   I've commonly seen where a particular state will require Paper forms, in the mail if state withholding is greater than ~25% of the state wages or distribution payout.....i.e. they want to see the actual W-2 paper form where such a large amount of taxes were withheld.

But don't mail in the state now, and don't "Amend " the Federal to correct any potential error until you know for sure what is going on.  You have to wait for the original Fed Refund (or pay the balance due to the IRS) before you amend anyhow...  IF you do end up amending the federal, you may be able to change to e-filing the state after that is fixed..or may just have to mail file the state too (you don't amend the state if it's never been filed).

Get back into your 2019 tax file  (might have to select "Add a State", but I don't really know what steps are involved this year), and go to the Print Center, then save a copy of your taxes, but make the selection to Save with all worksheets.  You can look at those worksheets to see what values you've entered on the software forms, as-well-as look at the main forms for numbers that don't make sense.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies