turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MandMims

My sons father keeps claiming my son on his taxes without my permission, he doesnt live or support him like he is supposed to. What can I do??

We have completed the above steps with no success. Please guide me on what to do next. This has been since March, April we have been trying to come to a solution with you.

MandMims

My sons father keeps claiming my son on his taxes without my permission, he doesnt live or support him like he is supposed to. What can I do??

What did you do? I have followed the steps they give with no resolution since March 

If he claimed your child you will have to print and mail your return and the IRS will determine who can claim them.

How to mail a return from the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

since you have posted to old threads it's a little difficult to follow what you have already done. 

what does it say when you check your refund status?  if it says "pending" or "processing" then follow the options below regarding contacting the IRS. 

if there's nothing regarding refund status then how did you file? if you e-filed successfully you should have gotten acceptance e-mail. did you get it?  if you mailed it in then contact the IRS. TT receives no updates on mailed returns or for that matter on e-filed returns once accepted.      

call the IRS at 800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.

if that fails contact the tax advocate in your state.  they too are probably inundated with follow-ups so it may take them a long time to get back to you

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

assuming you are the custodial parent and are otherwise entitled to claim the dependent

you can file form 3949-A to report him for falsely claiming the exemption.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf

other than these steps there's nothing more you can do but wait.  the pandemic slowed down the IRS processing so you are not the only one waiting for a refund for a return filed early in the year. 

contacting the IRS assumes you e-filed your return and it was accepted or that if you mailed it in the IRS got it 

@MandMims wrote:

Please help we can’t seem to come to a solution since my daughters birth father has claimed her in his tax returns. 

All you can do is file a correct tax return on paper and wait.  The IRS is very backlogged this year.

If you have not filed a return and are blocked from e-filing, print your return and mail it.  Don't forget to sign it, and don't forget to mail your state return if you have one.

If you already filed or e-filed without claiming a dependent, and you want to claim the dependent now, you will need to send in an amended return.

If you have already done whichever of these applies to your situation, all you can do now is wait for the IRS to process your tax returns. 

Vianca1994c
Returning Member

why would grandparent claim a child 

Hal_Al
Level 15

A child can be the “qualifying child” dependent of any close relative in the household. If the parent and child live with the grandparents, the grandparent could very well get more tax benefits (bigger EIC and additional child tax credit), than the parent, by claiming the child. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies